Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden jump in AHI
Sudden jump in AHI
Hi,

I'm new to CPAP and would like some help in understanding what is causing the sudden jump in AHI I've observed last night.

I've started therapy a few weeks ago and while I'm struggling a bit in finding the best tradeoff between mask comfort, leak level, and AHI, I've been generally successful in keeping the AHI under 2-3 and the leak rate under the large leak level.  However, my AHI spiked last night (especially CA) and not really sure why. The main change on my end last night is that I tried to wear the mask a little higher to give some relief to my nose bridge.

I attached my Oscar screenshots for a couple of previous nights and for last night.

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden jump in AHI
Welcome to the forum.
The reason your AHI went up is you had a group of central apneas, why I don't know.

You do have excessive flow limits which I believe are the cause of your higher pressures. The higher pressures could cause the central apneas.

On future charts please include the flow limit chart and remove the respiration rate chart.

To better manage your flow limitations
Set your min pressure to 7 which will allow full utilization of EPR
Set EPR=2, Fulltime. EPR is your best treatment for hypopneas, RERAS, UARS, and Flow Limitations.
ResMed uses flow limitations as one of its reasons to increase pressure so by minimizing them we reduce pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your response.  I will try these settings.

For reference, I have attached here the same screenshots with flow limit.

Post Reply Post Reply
@ Gideon - curious why you have recommended EPR of 2 rather than 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was a bit better (AHI ~5. see pic attached), but still quite a high AHI compared to what I have been able to achieve in the prior weeks.  I'm also puzzled by the number of OA events as I thought I had been able to nearly get rid of them.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 101 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 391 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 388 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 308 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,364 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Sudden raised AHI Papageno 10 695 12-07-2023, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Papageno

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.