Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden leaking issue after no problems for a year
Sudden leaking issue after no problems for a year
I'm having some issues with mask seal (and increased AHIs) that has only begun recently and was looking for some ideas for trouble shooting. I use the Resmed F20/Aircurve 10 (also have an F10) full face model and have so for nearly 1 year...I've never had seal issues until the past week and a half (and feel like crap as a result). I've replaced the mask and it didn't help. I've got it tightened down very tight and that didn't help. I've tried sleeping on my back (I'm normally a side sleeper) and that didn't help. I got a new hose and new head gear...no luck. I don't know what else to trouble shoot and was hoping someone here may have some advice. Could it be a seal in the water tank or the filter?
My first time attempting to attach sleepy head data so I hope it goes well.[attachment=10252]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden leaking issue after no problems for a year
I don’t think you attached an image showing the leak graph. That would be important.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes thanks...I should add that my AHI level was good this night (last night), but has generally been bad (up to 18 AHI).  My leak rate exceeds 80 (whatever unit of measurement...well above the 24 that is the limit.[attachment=10264][attachment=10265]
Post Reply Post Reply
mindbullets :

If you go under Sleeprider or Bonjour signature you may find some answers if you read Mask Primer & Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead.

Also, as long as you stay on the same subject, use the same thread. Your first post was ok, all you need is to learn how to arrange your graphs. 

BTW welcome to ABF!  

Bob.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, thanks for the advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you try changing the humidifier tank? There are only so many places where a leak might occur. It looks like you already changes the hose and mask, so maybe try a new humidifier tank.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see how a faulty water reservoir could be the cause of a leak in the mask / pillow. 

No way could a leak in the air filter be responsible for a leak in the mask. 

I found if I tightened my head gear down too much, it made the leak(s) worse. As another poster recently stated, there's a sweet spot that you need to find in regards to head gear tightness. 

I had a new pillow on my mask and it made my AHI's rise. I loosened the straps and my AHI's dropped.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you have been using a full face mask for a year or so and now find you have more leaks. You have tried solving that problem by tightening the straps to force a seal. Chances are, you need a new mask or cushion, and need to loosen the fit. A mask seals as it inflates against your face. Using excessive strap tightness makes the fit worse, not better. See the Mask Primer wiki in my signature.

You are using an Aircurve 10 Vauto at 8-18 pressure with PS 5, and the settings seem to generally work pretty well for you. There is a cluster of UA, which is simply apnena events where the leak rate is to high to differentiate the type of apnea. Your pressure does not seem to rise much during the night, so I suspect the UA cluster may be a positional obstructive apnea. We can keep an eye on that and see if there is a simple corrective action we should consider. These are typically caused by sleeping in a position where you tuck your chin toward the chest and restrict the airway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2019, 10:02 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Thanks much for the advice.  I do indeed have a brand new f20 mask.  I hoped this would cure the problem.  I also have an f10 mask that I have only used twice.  Neither helped.
Anyway, it sounds like I should definitely loosen the mask.  I will also keep the positional theory in mind; I did indeed sleep on both my side and my back.  I will compare a side sleep night with a back night and see if there is any difference.  
Again, much appreciation for your time.

It sounds like you have been using a full face mask for a year or so and now find you have more leaks. You have tried solving that problem by tightening the straps to force a seal.  Chances are, you need a new mask or cushion, and need to loosen the fit. A mask seals as it inflates against your face. Using excessive strap tightness makes the fit worse, not better.  See the Mask Primer wiki in my signature.

You are using an Aircurve 10 Vauto at 8-18 pressure with PS 5, and the settings seem to generally work pretty well for you. There is a cluster of UA, which is simply apnena events where the leak rate is to high to differentiate the type of apnea. Your pressure does not seem to rise much during the night, so I suspect the UA cluster may be a positional obstructive apnea.  We can keep an eye on that and see if there is a simple corrective action we should consider. These are typically caused by sleeping in a position where you tuck your chin toward the chest and restrict the airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
I made really wide custom straps from an old t-shirt, I can't justify paying $50 for simple straps, mine work better and since they are wide they don't press too hard on my head. I have alot of veins running around my skull and the regular straps were giving me headaches and puffy eyes in the morning. Not to mention I get alot less leaks now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 0 45 Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 388 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 113 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,632 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,414 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,016 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.