Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden onset of Dry Mouth
RE: Sudden onset of Dry Mouth
Wanted to report in. I've dialed back the pressure to 9 and gone back on automatic humidity. I'm still getting some dry mouth, but it's way more tolerable. The Biotene gel helps, too. I'll get used to 9 and then start increasing it. It'll help that the ResMed allows increases of 0.2 at a time.
Thanks again for all your help. It's nice to be able to sleep again.
Cheers,
Scott
Meet you in the land of nod
- Johnny Mercer
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2012, 03:47 PM)ScottW Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 01:42 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The chin strap may still help with the lip thing. Some people advocate taping the lips closed but it is my opinion (and a strong one at that) this practice is dangerous, needless, and kinda silly.

Turning the pressure down then slowly increasing it may work.

One thing at a time, Paula. I'll start by dialing back the pressure and then see.
Thanks again.
Scott

I would have tried the chin strap first, before dialing back the pressure. Biotene is no substitute for a closed mouth and using pressures adequate enough to keep your AHI down where it belongs. Check Rescan or SleepyHead and see where you stand with your AHI.

An elastic ACE bandage wrapped under your chin and over the top of your head can serve as a chinstrap until your DME can supply you with a real one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ScottW, Glad your solution worked and that you got some sleep. Keep us posted on your findings and CONTINUED SUCCESS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-27-2012, 02:15 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi ScottW, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! Maybe you could turn your humidifier down one notch and see if that helps, I know it's contray to what you might think but you can always turn it back up if you find that doesn't work. Sometimes, too much humidity can dry you out. Best of luck to you and hang in there, someone will be along to give you more suggestions to help.

Thanks
Thank you for this suggestion. Yes, it is counter intuitive but I'm ready to try anything short of giving the machine a flying lesson. As a 20 year user I know better but this dry mouth problem is driving me nuts. Doc seems baffled about it. Wouldn't it be neat if I could tell him next month that the solution came from this extraordinary board! I'll report back in a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2012, 01:42 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Some people advocate taping the lips closed but it is my opinion (and a strong one at that) this practice is dangerous, needless, and kinda silly.

Foolish and dangerous. I'd go with a hybrid instead.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Try XyliMelts. My dentist suggested that I try them, and they work well.
Post Reply Post Reply
My fix for when I cheat or have a leak resulting in dry mouth is switching to my RespCARE Hybrid FFM. A combination mouth seal/nasal pillow FFM. Has a much smaller mouth seal area, and a chin flap. Kit comes with three sizes of cushions and nasal pillows. I find it better for side sleeping than my regular FFM. Might be worth a look. Smile
Cheers,
otrpu
Love your family, treat your friend(s) well, and don't waste your time. Everything else is just so much BS. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the resmed S9. I am using the nasal cushions which I prefer but during the night my nose feels like its drying or burning. Is this a problem with the humidity or pressure level? tgfeeheley@aol.com
Post Reply Post Reply
what do you have your humidity set at? I would guess it's not enough.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 387 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,078 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.