Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden onset of mouth breathing after heart attack
Sudden onset of mouth breathing after heart attack
Dear all,

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted, because I have had several years of relatively uneventful (bad pun intended) years of using my machine. Well, things changed on 9/3, when I had a massive heart attack only 6 days before my 44th birthday. Needless to say, that was one hell of a wake up call. Since getting home from the hospital  I have made radical lifestyle changes and am already down 16 lbs. I have a long way to go but gotta start somewhere.

The reason I am writing is because since I got home I have noticed my leak numbers have gotten worse and worse. Now they are past the 24 L/min threshold, after which ResMed starts emailing you to tell you about it. The last week I have been waking up with a sore throat and dry mouth, which tells me that I have begun opening my mouth while sleeping, which I have NEVER done before. 

Does anyone know why, after years of sleeping with my mouth closed and having no issues with my nasal pillow mask, I would suddenly start sleeping with an open mouth and getting mouth leak? Are there any heart patients on here who have experienced something similar? I talked to my doctors about it and none of them had any ideas. It seems unlikely that it would have anything to do with my heart attack but it’s strange that it just started since then.

Most chin straps I’ve seen online get such bad reviews that I’m not sure I want to bother with one. I would be really bummed to have to switch to a full-face mask after so many years of comfort with my nasal pillow mask, but I suppose I’ll have to if I can’t relearn how to sleep with my mouth closed.

Thanks for reading.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden onset of mouth breathing after heart attack
2 things mentioned here a lot is mouth tapping and using a soft collar. The collar link is in my signature.

This may or may not be more attractive to you than a ffm
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Start with reading the Mouth Breathing section of the Mask Primer (link in my signature.
One possible and feasible reason you pointed out, your weight loss changing the geometry of your face.
If the P10 strap was stretched from your pre-weightloss face or you need a different pillow size.

I also suggest that you post nightly charts from OSCAR so we can see if there may be other adjustments that may be necessary.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some members have had good luck with the Knightsbridge dual chin strap Supplier #37. It takes a different approach and pulls up rather than back. There are reviews in the forum. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-ChinStrap

Have you compared your respiratory statistics in Oscar from before and after the heart attack? Maybe there are changes there. Good luck with your recovery and new lease on life. I had friends that experienced a heart attack at your young age, and after making the kind of lifestyle changes you are making, it was their last. You will be monitored, and I'm sure you had some repairs made that should correct the problems in your heart and circulatory system, and are likely on some anti-clotting medications. It's a terrible thing to go through, but yours was a warning, and a second chance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your kind and thoughtful response, Sleeprider. Apparently I'm way behind on the CPAP data analysis scene. The last time I was concerned about my data, SleepyHead was still the software of choice.  Too-funny I guess I need to download OSCAR and learn that now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2020, 10:33 PM)bonjour Wrote: Start with reading the Mouth Breathing section of the Mask Primer (link in my signature.
One possible and feasible reason you pointed out, your weight loss changing the geometry of your face.
If the P10 strap was stretched from your pre-weightloss face or you need a different pillow size.

I also suggest that you post nightly charts from OSCAR so we can see if there may be other adjustments that may be necessary.

Thank you, bonjour. That's an interesting point that I actually hadn't thought of. I ran some basic regression analysis and my weight loss correlates with the leak rate with an R^2 around 0.98. Perhaps not all of the leak is attributable to mouth leak, but I do know that's at least a component.

Apparently I now need to download and learn OSCAR, since SleepyHead seems to be obsolete. Since my therapy has been relatively uneventful until now, I stopped looking at my data beyond what's provided in ResMed's basic report.
Post Reply Post Reply
Possum,
If you are familiar with SleepyHead then you will not have a problem with OSCAR. OSCAR began as a fork of the abandoned SH code.  It is now its own entity with many improvements and bug fixes.   There is a download link at the top of the page and I have also listed it below.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My apnea began after my bypass surgery (though I'm sure it was already in the background). Did you require surgery after your MI? You say it was massive and usually in cases like this they operate. If this was the case then I can add to the narrative. Did they stent or did they do a bypass? This will have nothing to do at this point with chinstraps etc but more about what happened to your body.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-20-2020, 04:09 AM)holden4th Wrote: My apnea began after my bypass surgery (though I'm sure it was already in the background). Did you require surgery after your MI? You say it was massive and usually in cases like this they operate. If this was the case then I can add to the narrative. Did they stent or did they do a bypass? This will have nothing to do at this point with chinstraps etc but more about what happened to your body.

Yes, they stented the upper part of my LAD artery, with what I was told was the largest stent they had in stock. My cardiologist said the artery was almost completely blocked with clots, likely from a ruptured plaque.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,126 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 387 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.