Sudden peak in AHI 23!
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

RE: Sudden peak in AHI 23!
(11-13-2014 07:47 PM)Dolla Bill Wrote:  Like this? Here is a detail of last night, the night in question.

Hi Dolla Bill,

The amount of leaking is minor. Looks like most of the AHI was made up of central (Clear Airway) apneas when there was little or no leaking. The low Leak means the machine is more likely to be accurately reporting what was occurring.

Take a close, zoomed-in look at the Flow graph. I think it is in Tools/Options that you can adjust the scales for the Detailed Data. It would be good to adjust the scale on the Flow to be more zoomed in, like perhaps -80 to +80. This will make it much easier to see what the Flow is doing.

And on the time scale also, zoom in around 4:00 or 5:15 so that 10 minutes fills the entire horizontal axis. 4:00 and 5:15 are times are when there are dense clusters of Central Apneas. (The event flag candlestick tops will be clear/white on the CA apneas, and will be solid red on the obstructive apneas.)

Consumption of alcohol or use of prescription meds can strongly increase the number of central apneas we get. Sometimes high pressures tend to cause central apneas or Periodic Breathing to occur.

All the apneas are short, less than 20 seconds. I wouldn't be overly-worried about the dense clusters of CA, since this doesn't happen very often. All the same, I would think these clusters would have been hugely disruptive to sleep and that you will want to make changes to reduce the likelihood of this happening again.

With some people, higher Pressure may cause Central Apneas. Would be interesting to see what the Pressure graph was like when those clusters were occurring. If you find that the clusters of Central Apneas occurred mostly during or shortly after the pressure had been unusually high, keeping off your back would likely help avoid the CA clusters, because keeping off our back usually lowers how high the pressure needs to go to avoid Obstructive Apneas.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 10:37 PM by vsheline.)
11-13-2014 10:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Dolla Bill Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AirSense Autoset S10
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift Air fit P10 nasal pillow
Humidifier: Airsense 10 Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: avg. 10.1
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Thanks. I will do some zooming in. We have another possible problem, dust. We live in a warehouse converted to a home. We stick built (2x4, sheetrock, heavy insulation - batts in the walls and blown in the attic.) It is quite dusty. We dust and clean, but in a few days a layer of noticeable dust forms.

Been here ten years. Never cleaned the ducts. There are some traces around the supply registers. The returns are quite dusty. Having a duct cleaning service, a good one, coming by next week.

Also working to create a slightly positive internal pressure that should help minimize infiltration. Checking into air scrubbers as well. Now have 5 inch thick filters in our two HVAC systems. Seeking some answers from reputable sources.

The point is that we have a dust problem. Could this be a contributing factor?

Would also like any input ideas about how to better control the dust. My wife and I are noticing some breathing problems when we are awake.
11-13-2014 11:07 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(11-13-2014 11:07 PM)Dolla Bill Wrote:  The point is that we have a dust problem. Could this be a contributing factor?
Have you checked the S9 filter lately?
You might also need those antibacterial filters
11-13-2014 11:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Dolla Bill Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed AirSense Autoset S10
Mask Make & Model: Swift Air fit P10 nasal pillow
Humidifier: Airsense 10 Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: avg. 10.1
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Consumption of alcohol or use of prescription meds can strongly increase the number of central apneas we get. Sometimes high pressures tend to cause central apneas or Periodic Breathing to occur.

No alcohol. Do take some prescription meds. Cholesterol and marginal high blood pressure, prescription Prilosec.

Is there a class or type of meds we should watch?

I have a slight throat obstruction just below the vocal chords that doctors have been unable to diagnose except they say there is nothing seriously wrong. I am wondering if it is related to the dust problem.

They also ran a battery of tests for allergies and couldn't find anything. I am throwing out every possible thing I know, here, to you in the hope something clicks.
11-13-2014 11:13 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Bill, just go back to the basics. You'll be fine. Tonight, make sure your mask is comfortable, your humidifier has stuff in it, and you are sleeping ON YOUR SIDE. We'll figure out how to get you on your back later. But right now let's just get you back to sleep.
11-13-2014 11:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

p.s.... You will very possibly be able to kiss the Prilosec goodbye before you're done too!!!
11-13-2014 11:20 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(11-13-2014 11:13 PM)Dolla Bill Wrote:  Is there a class or type of meds we should watch?
Opioid pain medication
11-13-2014 11:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  AHI sudden increase from to much food? rich2905 8 502 09-13-2016 12:09 PM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell
Gross Seemingly Sudden Increase in Leaks TheManseHen 5 525 07-23-2016 11:55 PM
Last Post: chill
Question Sudden Spike of OAs chill 9 475 05-14-2016 07:44 PM
Last Post: chill
  Sudden onset of Dry Mouth ScottW 18 6,202 01-23-2016 06:17 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
Sad Sudden rise in AHI jeffreyclay 12 1,670 07-16-2015 06:44 AM
Last Post: MobileBasset
  Sudden Sore Throat with New Pressure? IHeartCapnHook 7 1,210 05-23-2015 02:19 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  Sudden increase in CA events. LanceC 8 1,627 03-22-2015 09:17 PM
Last Post: LanceC