Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden peak in AHI 23!
RE: Sudden peak in AHI 23!
(11-13-2014, 07:47 PM)Dolla Bill Wrote: Like this? Here is a detail of last night, the night in question.

Hi Dolla Bill,

The amount of leaking is minor. Looks like most of the AHI was made up of central (Clear Airway) apneas when there was little or no leaking. The low Leak means the machine is more likely to be accurately reporting what was occurring.

Take a close, zoomed-in look at the Flow graph. I think it is in Tools/Options that you can adjust the scales for the Detailed Data. It would be good to adjust the scale on the Flow to be more zoomed in, like perhaps -80 to +80. This will make it much easier to see what the Flow is doing.

And on the time scale also, zoom in around 4:00 or 5:15 so that 10 minutes fills the entire horizontal axis. 4:00 and 5:15 are times are when there are dense clusters of Central Apneas. (The event flag candlestick tops will be clear/white on the CA apneas, and will be solid red on the obstructive apneas.)

Consumption of alcohol or use of prescription meds can strongly increase the number of central apneas we get. Sometimes high pressures tend to cause central apneas or Periodic Breathing to occur.

All the apneas are short, less than 20 seconds. I wouldn't be overly-worried about the dense clusters of CA, since this doesn't happen very often. All the same, I would think these clusters would have been hugely disruptive to sleep and that you will want to make changes to reduce the likelihood of this happening again.

With some people, higher Pressure may cause Central Apneas. Would be interesting to see what the Pressure graph was like when those clusters were occurring. If you find that the clusters of Central Apneas occurred mostly during or shortly after the pressure had been unusually high, keeping off your back would likely help avoid the CA clusters, because keeping off our back usually lowers how high the pressure needs to go to avoid Obstructive Apneas.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I will do some zooming in. We have another possible problem, dust. We live in a warehouse converted to a home. We stick built (2x4, sheetrock, heavy insulation - batts in the walls and blown in the attic.) It is quite dusty. We dust and clean, but in a few days a layer of noticeable dust forms.

Been here ten years. Never cleaned the ducts. There are some traces around the supply registers. The returns are quite dusty. Having a duct cleaning service, a good one, coming by next week.

Also working to create a slightly positive internal pressure that should help minimize infiltration. Checking into air scrubbers as well. Now have 5 inch thick filters in our two HVAC systems. Seeking some answers from reputable sources.

The point is that we have a dust problem. Could this be a contributing factor?

Would also like any input ideas about how to better control the dust. My wife and I are noticing some breathing problems when we are awake.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2014, 11:07 PM)Dolla Bill Wrote: The point is that we have a dust problem. Could this be a contributing factor?
Have you checked the S9 filter lately?
You might also need those antibacterial filters
Post Reply Post Reply
Consumption of alcohol or use of prescription meds can strongly increase the number of central apneas we get. Sometimes high pressures tend to cause central apneas or Periodic Breathing to occur.

No alcohol. Do take some prescription meds. Cholesterol and marginal high blood pressure, prescription Prilosec.

Is there a class or type of meds we should watch?

I have a slight throat obstruction just below the vocal chords that doctors have been unable to diagnose except they say there is nothing seriously wrong. I am wondering if it is related to the dust problem.

They also ran a battery of tests for allergies and couldn't find anything. I am throwing out every possible thing I know, here, to you in the hope something clicks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bill, just go back to the basics. You'll be fine. Tonight, make sure your mask is comfortable, your humidifier has stuff in it, and you are sleeping ON YOUR SIDE. We'll figure out how to get you on your back later. But right now let's just get you back to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
p.s.... You will very possibly be able to kiss the Prilosec goodbye before you're done too!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2014, 11:13 PM)Dolla Bill Wrote: Is there a class or type of meds we should watch?
Opioid pain medication
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 327 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 363 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 287 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,209 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Sudden raised AHI Papageno 10 644 12-07-2023, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Papageno
  [CPAP] Need some help if possible - sudden change in response from 4hrs to 1.5hrs usage OverflowingJoyEntity 6 485 11-28-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: OverflowingJoyEntity
Question [CPAP] Sudden spike in AHI Airo 9 4,552 10-24-2023, 03:22 AM
Last Post: ario

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.