Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sudden rise in AHI
Sad 
Sudden rise in AHI
I'm new to this board, hope I don't step on any toes or break any rules.
I've noticed that I'm having trouble staying awake for a few weeks. I learned of Sleephead and took a look at the data recorded by my Bi-pap. Sure enough, a clear sign that something started on June 12th. Take a look at the attachment.
I've given a careful inspection of the hose and face mask. No defects or damage there. What would you suspect next? I'm a little baffled. Jeff

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sudden rise in AHI
Email that to your sleep doc. Look at the other data more closely (email that also); the data posted only tells us that AHI went up.
Post Reply Post Reply
The posted data also tell us that the higher AHI is due to an increase in central (aka "clear airway") apneas (the purple).

It's a little hard to read the small print in your screenshot but it looks like you've been using your machine since April -- correct?

Your total AHI still looks to be at or under 5.0 most of the time. Any other changes around the time the AHI changed -- like a change in medication or dose?

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 02:19 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: The posted data also tell us that the higher AHI is due to an increase in central (aka "clear airway") apneas (the purple).

It's a little hard to read the small print in your screenshot but it looks like you've been using your machine since April -- correct?

Your total AHI still looks to be at or under 5.0 most of the time. Any other changes around the time the AHI changed -- like a change in medication or dose?

Smile This machine was replaced in April under warranty, hence the short data time. I was under the impression that the Total AHI was the entire column for the given day. If so the nights prior to June 12th the AHI was .5-1.7 and after that date were 1.3-5.5, and have remained there. I've written a letter to my Family Dr. for a referral to a sleep clinic. I can zip the files up and email them for their analysis. Thanks for replying.    
Post Reply Post Reply
Jeffery, Kaiasgram is absolutely right. The only change is clear apneas being recorded. At this rate, the CA is probably not something to be alarmed about, but it would be nice to find an explanation. Why was your previous machine replaced? Are both machines set up the same?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did any of your other data make a significant change at the same time - especially leaks. I will echo Sleeprider. Why was your other machine replaced? What was its problem?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It was the same machine (Resmed S9) I asked for the prior unit to be checked. I would awake at night and the positive airflow was so strong I couldn't breath with it. They found nothing wrong but couldn't test it 6+ hours that would correlate with the interval I complained about so they supplied me with a new one. I really felt stupid when the new one did what I perceived as the same thing to me. It hasn't happened again since. Getting back to the results of the current machine, there was a very noticeable jump in the major leaks. That's why an inspection of the hose and nasal pillow was done. Both in good condition. I put on the mask and started the unit. Moving the hose didn't reveal any splits. I saw in the screen of the unit that it indicated it was meeting the upper and lower pressures with each complete breath. I'm aware of waking 2-3 times a night because I recall looking at the clock (midnight, 2am, 5am) I fall asleep listening to reruns of Art Bell. You don't think Art is planting suggestions in my sub conscience do yo? :-0
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jeffreyclay,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck getting your machine problems straightened out, Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You have an S9 VPAP (bilevel) machine so are you sure about your pressure settings? You're saying 13-16 -- is that 13 EPAP and 16 IPAP? If it's a VPAP Auto, then there's more to the story about what your pressure settings actually are. You'd have a Min EPAP pressure setting, a Max IPAP pressure setting and a pressure support (PS) setting.

Do you know how to access the clinical menu of your machine to see all the pressure and pressure support settings? If not, that would be a good first step to investigating what your machine is doing. Given that both machines are doing the same thing it sounds like they're functioning properly and you'd probably feel better if you understood what's actually going on.

Looking more closely at your SleepyHead data might also be useful -- the graphs (Flow Rate, Event Flag, Pressure, Leak, Flow Limit and Snore graphs are particularly helpful) often contain valuable information about what's going on during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 07:36 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: You have an S9 VPAP (bilevel) machine so are you sure about your pressure settings? You're saying 13-16 -- is that 13 EPAP and 16 IPAP? If it's a VPAP Auto, then there's more to the story about what your pressure settings actually are.

Machine: S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Aloha
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

I posted my pressures much like the way you do.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudden onset of desats - can't figure out why MCS2014 7 333 02-26-2024, 08:25 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Do mask types affect xpaps rise in eye pressure? Happyeyes 4 365 01-12-2024, 10:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Rise in CA events and CSR GrandCentral 13 723 01-09-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question Assistance with sudden issues incl. OSCAR RustyShackleford 3 369 01-01-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: RustyShackleford
  [Treatment] Understanding rise in AHI PedroT 17 819 12-30-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: PedroT
  Rain out all of a sudden mogulman 1 288 12-17-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: mogulman
  Sudden Increase in AHI Score mawaw1992 13 2,221 12-11-2023, 04:59 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.