Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suddenly Aerophagia
Gross 
Suddenly Aerophagia
I was diagnosed way back in the 90's with Apnea although they told me I did not stop breathing but that I had a lot of mucus and had 275 sleep interuptions during the course of the night as I tired moving around to clear my throat.I now think that explanation was a bit wacky.

I recently developed GERD so I had a home sleep test done and they called last friday and said I had 19 stop breathing events in an hour, so I had moderate sleep apnea.

I had an ancient cpap set at 9 cm , stopped using it years ago as it hurt my stomach and made my throat too dry. SO i got some new tubing and some new filters and started using it. Hard to sleep more than 3 hours with it. Old Mask also hurt. Hospital wanted me to come in and do another sleep study just to come up with another cpap setting.
So did alot of research managed to wrangle an online prescription
and ordered a Resmed S9 autoset with humidifier and heated tubing, which arrived yesterday.
Got the clinician manual set it up at 4-20cm, autostart, auto humidity and also ordered a resperonics Profile LT GEL nasal mask. set ramp for 20 minutes. Found 4 cm too low, hard to breathe. Changed to 6cm went to sleep awake 3.5 hours later stomach bloated and distended. showed zero AHI
max pressure 13.2 average 8 . Stomach very uncomfortable.

Going to try changing max pressure to 10 tonight and see what happens.

Any other suggestions welcome.
Not sure the resp mask compatible with Resmed. I could also turn off the EPR and the Auto and set the pressure at my old fixed rate of 9 since I was not getting the bloating when using my old remstar for a few days before the S9 arrived.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suddenly Aerophagia
Give it a try, certainly if fiddling with the EPR doesn't work, but most modern masks are compatible across systems. Sometimes you have to manually set the mask type. Often the bloating goes away once you adjust, since you need to learn to breath with a different type of machine and setting. If you have a lot of mucous, then swallowing, which is a constant with that, will also take down a ton of air with it. Again, the body needs to learn to adjust, I know I had the same difficulty at the outset, and I too am a big mucous producer, which is one reason I use nasal pillows instead of a mask, as it actually works a bit better with post nasal drip.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2013, 02:10 PM)dfstarman Wrote: Hospital wanted me to come in and do another sleep study just to come up with another cpap setting.
Welcome to the forum
IMO, another sleep study is good idea and making sure that you,re using the right machine at the right settings

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dfstarman,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumbsup 
RE: Suddenly Aerophagia/better and first results
(11-08-2013, 02:22 PM)DocWils Wrote: Give it a try, certainly if fiddling with the EPR doesn't work, but most modern masks are compatible across systems. Sometimes you have to manually set the mask type. Often the bloating goes away once you adjust, since you need to learn to breath with a different type of machine and setting. If you have a lot of mucous, then swallowing, which is a constant with that, will also take down a ton of air with it. Again, the body needs to learn to adjust, I know I had the same difficulty at the outset, and I too am a big mucous producer, which is one reason I use nasal pillows instead of a mask, as it actually works a bit better with post nasal drip.

well it worked had a good night no bloating did get up 2x during night once is normal. I had a tendency to have my nose clog when I lie down so I gave each nostril a squirt of Nasalcrum, problem solved.

I set the min at 6 and max at 10 since my old cpap was set at 9 EPR at 2

results pressure 10 so max pressure/ .95 =10.5
leak 10 leaks were above 10 for 23.1 minutes
AHI .3 x usage 7.7=2.31 total events
AI .2 x usage 7.7=1.54 total apneas
CAI .2 x usage 7.7 1.54 central apneas

HI=AHI-AI= 2.31-1.54= .77
HI x Usage .77-7.7=5.92 or ~6 events

when I did my home test they told me I had 19 per hour

so should I increase pressure .5 cm to see if that decreases the 6 ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Give it a few days to adjust first, and then try slow increases, but I think that you might not see that number knocked back so easily, as there will be so much natural variance per night that you will see it go up and down a good bit for a while.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,788 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 598 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,646 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 523 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 408 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [CPAP] Suddenly air feels too dry.. outasleep 2 287 01-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.