Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepyhead Results
RE: Sleepyhead Results
(02-24-2013, 02:44 AM)vsheline Wrote: We don't really know what is the best approach for adjusting the Min Pressure in order to influence CAI. I think I do best when my Min Pressure is set near my average pressure. For a time I kept my Min Pressure as low as I could stand it, to see if my CAI would get lower, but I found that my CAs were occurring just as often when my pressure was low as when it was high. Seemed to make no difference in my case.

One thing that quite a few patients have observed is their CAI gets better when they turn off EPR. Now that you are used to the therapy, maybe you could try turning off EPR for the next month and see if it helps in your case.

Just to add some more info to the discussion, my CA index went up dramatically when I switched from a CPAP at 13 cm of pressure to a BiPAP at pressures of 13 cm IPAP and 8 cm EPAP.

For some unknown reason, and this has been documented, the lowering of the exhalation pressure induces central apneas.

Mine were short in duration and the frequency fell to an acceptable level with time.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I figured out how to check duration with events information on the left (and I can't see a correlation between duration of CA event and the pressure). But how do I review 02 desaturations?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2013, 10:25 AM)GaryG Wrote: If I can summarize (with a few questions in blue and comments in green) (snip)

2. Look to reduce apneas with longest duration. With Resscan, the duration is visible. How do I check duration with sleepyhead?
I don't use SH, but I suppose I could zoom in on the Flow waveform during the apnea until one minute or 30 seconds filled the screen, and then observe how long I hadn't been breathing.

Quote:3. Review O2 desaturations How?
Either simply assume that the shorter an apnea lasts, the better, or, if you can afford to invest in a Pulse-Oximeter, wear it overnight occasionally. The finger-mounted Pulse-Ox type, by the way, will apply more pressure and will be more uncomfortable to wear all night than the wrist-mounted type which has a separate cup which fits on the finger.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2013, 11:14 AM)GaryG Wrote: Average pressure: (4-15) 8.4, (7-15) 9.8
95% pressure: (4-15) 10.5 (7-15) 11.7
So increasing the minimum does impact average and 95% pressure.

Changing the Min Pressure will change the average pressure at least slightly, but keep in mind that "Correlation does not prove causation."

There could have been an independent cause for most of the rise in 95 percentile pressure, such as sleep position, change in mask type or mask adjustments, or medications or diet or stress or whatever.

For example, for the night's data you posted, it would have made virtually no difference in average pressure or 95% pressure whether the Minimum Pressure had been set to 4 or 7 or 8. The pressure simply never went that low while you were sleeping. So the higher average pressure and 95% pressure were not influenced significantly by the Min Pressure setting that night. Other things must have had stronger influence that night.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2013, 01:02 PM)vsheline Wrote: Changing the Min Pressure will change the average pressure at least slightly, but keep in mind that "Correlation does not prove causation."
Fair enough. Kind of like making a connection to sales of refrigerators and number of incidents of cancer. I get it.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 178 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 157 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 131 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,177 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Help interpreting Oscar results stanley61 10 472 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: stanley61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.