Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suddenly experiencing dry nasal passages
Suddenly experiencing dry nasal passages
Have been using S9 Autoset by Resmed with Humidifier for about two years with no problems. Average AHI at about 2. Slightly dry mouth and throat throat, but am beginning to experiencing noticeable dry nasal passages.

Swift Nasal Pillows mask and hose are changed about every six months. Reservoir changed every year.

Home conditions seem the same. Sleeping room temperature at about 68f, as it has been for the last two years.

I am showing 83 on the Climate Control and Autoset 8 on the digital readout.

Have been reading through the ResMed manual trying to find how to get more moisture in the air. The reservoir is about half full in the morning.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suddenly experiencing dry nasal passages
Dolla Bill, in the meantime (I have a respironics machine and humidifier and haven't a clue about your H5i) try the drugstore and look for saline nose spray. They hopefully will have some products with extra ingredients to moisturize your nasal passages.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2013, 08:12 AM)zimlich Wrote: Dolla Bill, in the meantime (I have a respironics machine and humidifier and haven't a clue about your H5i) try the drugstore and look for saline nose spray. They hopefully will have some products with extra ingredients to moisturize your nasal passages.

Thanks, will try it.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing to try would be get a temp/humidity indcator thing from Walmart for $8. Made by Acurite.
Set that up in your bedroom.
It displays current temp/humidity as well as high/lows during the last 24hrs. Nice to know.
Specially in summer.
My guess is that, being winter you are getting super low humidity and that is messing with you.
This cheap device will verify that.

If you have tried everything else you can always get a second heated humidifier like Fischer & Paykal makes.
This will cost you some $$ and be more maintence chores, but you can get a short section of CPAP hose and connect it in *series* with your current CPAP, effectively giving you two stages of humidification.
Then you can adjust your S9 up or down from there to taste.

Good luck!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm assuming you are using a "ClimateLine" hose and have "Climate Control" set to "Auto" if "Climate Control" shows 83 (83 degrees F). This means that the humidifier is set to provide maximum humidity while reliably preventing rain-out in the hose while the hose interior wall is heated to 83 deg. You can increase the humidity by increasing the temp. on the hose. The hose temp. can be increased up to 86 deg. F, but at 86 deg. you might run out of water after 6 or 7 hours (more or less depending on the humidity of the ambient air in your room). I would suggest incremental increases in temp. until you find a comfortable setting.

The suggestion above is assuming the H5i and ClimateLine are not malfunctioning. It doesn't sound like a malfunction because about half of a tank of water sounds about right for 83 deg hose and pressure avg. of about 10 for a normal amount of sleep time in a cool dry room; but, just to be sure, has the water chamber always been half full in the morning, or is this something that has just been happening since you have been drying out? If you are now using less water, then your "ClimateLine" may not be heating properly now and this would cause the machine to decrease humidity to prevent rain-out. How long has it been since you have replaced the ClimateLine? Many recommend replacing the ClimateLine every 3 - 6 months; but most find they will last much, much longer with periodic sanitization.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2013, 12:54 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: I'm assuming you are using a "ClimateLine" hose and have "Climate Control" set to "Auto" if "Climate Control" shows 83 (83 degrees F). This means that the humidifier is set to provide maximum humidity while reliably preventing rain-out in the hose while the hose interior wall is heated to 83 deg. You can increase the humidity by increasing the temp. on the hose. The hose temp. can be increased up to 86 deg. F, but at 86 deg. you might run out of water after 6 or 7 hours (more or less depending on the humidity of the ambient air in your room). I would suggest incremental increases in temp. until you find a comfortable setting.

The suggestion above is assuming the H5i and ClimateLine are not malfunctioning. It doesn't sound like a malfunction because about half of a tank of water sounds about right for 83 deg hose and pressure avg. of about 10 for a normal amount of sleep time in a cool dry room; but, just to be sure, has the water chamber always been half full in the morning, or is this something that has just been happening since you have been drying out? If you are now using less water, then your "ClimateLine" may not be heating properly now and this would cause the machine to decrease humidity to prevent rain-out. How long has it been since you have replaced the ClimateLine? Many recommend replacing the ClimateLine every 3 - 6 months; but most find they will last much, much longer with periodic sanitization.

I am using that hose and am set to auto. I will try a few degrees up.

I am also having a problem with hardened mucous in my nose. If raising the temp does not help, I may try an additional humidifier as suggested.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you need more humidification.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could be leaking air out of your mouth. Check your leak with SleepyHead or ResScan.

Try turning off climate control and cranking the humidity up. Or use an unheated hose. You might get some rainout, but at least you'll know the machine is doing what it can.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2013, 05:18 AM)Dolla Bill Wrote: Have been using S9 Autoset by Resmed with Humidifier for about two years with no problems. Average AHI at about 2. Slightly dry mouth and throat throat, but am beginning to experiencing noticeable dry nasal passages.

Swift Nasal Pillows mask and hose are changed about every six months. Reservoir changed every year.

Home conditions seem the same. Sleeping room temperature at about 68f, as it has been for the last two years.

I am showing 83 on the Climate Control and Autoset 8 on the digital readout.

Have been reading through the ResMed manual trying to find how to get more moisture in the air. The reservoir is about half full in the morning.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Bill
dry mouth indicate mouth breathing, a chinstrap help keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks
if wanted you can try nasal mask, the pressure disperse around the nose and don,t dry the nasal passages as nasal pillows

you can turn up temp as much as you like and climate control protects against rainout

sinus rinse, just saline solution help moisten and clear mucus from the nose

Biotenne mouth wash is recommended and Lanoish HPA cream for dry noses

Post Reply Post Reply
I was having problems with dry thought and nasal passages. tried using a chin strap and the problem disappeared. I was mouth breathing. Now after a few months I have trained myself to sleep with my mouth closed and don't use thew chinstrap. Occasionally I have to wear it again for a night or two just to retrain my mouth.
Sleep-on-pillow
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,771 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 314 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 861 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Suddenly air feels too dry.. outasleep 2 286 01-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 495 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Central Hypopneas suddenly! Kingsway 4 520 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] AHI Suddenly Getting Worse bwor80 1 422 10-23-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.