Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: S9
Humidifier: S9
CPAP Pressure: 9.0
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
Suddenly suffocating
Hi everyone. I'm new in the board but not a new CPAP user. I just woke up with a very scary feeling that I was suffocating and was so fearful I wouldn't let myself go back to sleep. In "problem solving" mode now I decided that the reason may be due to recent weight gain & I thought I should increase my pressure...so I did. From 9-13 my ears are feeling pressure-y now, though, so I think I'll lower it to 10.5 or 11. Ill call the doc in the am but wondered if anyone has any thoughts. Additionally two days ago after a few days with a tight calf, it "popped" (tear? Strain?) Quite sore and now with suffocating feeling on top of that I'm worried about DVT (no bruising, no fever though). I'd appreciate any insights, thoughts or advice
09-10-2013 11:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Tez62 Offline

Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Suddenly suffocating
Welcome KarenS, I think raising your pressure in lower increments is a better idea. You have that you are using ResScan in your profile, is your pressure hitting 9 quite often. You may want to get the tear / strain checked out, I have a friend, she doesnt have sleep apnea but got a DVT and almost died, if your concerned get it checked out. Hope both get better and good luck with your higher pressures.
09-11-2013 01:05 AM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi KarenS,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

trish6hundred
09-11-2013 09:20 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Yeah, 9 - 13 is one heckuva jump. It is best to do it in small steps, like .5 at a time for a few days then another.

You have a data capable machine. Before messing with the pressure, check the data to see if it even needs to be moved. You don't have to have the software although it is best. Before noon, check the machine itself to see what the AHI was for that night. If it is below 5, leave it alone while everything else settles.

In looking at the data, we are looking at trends. A single night of data means nothing. There are far too many variables that go into a bad or good night's sleep. By looking at the data over time, you see what is "normal" for you and what is not.

The suffocating feeling can be a lot of things. The mask's vent was blocked, you had a bad dream, or you are overly stressed. Are you using the EPR? If you are, consider raising it if it is set at 1 or 2. My Breeze mask was fine set to off or 1. But the Swift LT I have to have it on 2 or 3. Same type of mask but totally different feeling.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-11-2013 02:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ResMed AutoSet S9 Shuts Off Suddenly geoffleach 5 459 07-25-2016 10:54 AM
Last Post: chill
  Why did the air from my S9 VPAP Auto suddenly get very warm PaytonA 2 324 07-13-2016 12:40 AM
Last Post: chill
Angry My cpap is suddenly not working correctly oregon97232 5 836 01-22-2016 10:00 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  feels like I am suffocating lolewis 6 1,472 08-29-2015 05:19 PM
Last Post: vsheline
  AHI suddenly goes up RChadwick 6 930 08-14-2015 10:00 AM
Last Post: Shastzi
  Feel like I am suffocating catalina 15 4,223 05-05-2015 03:21 PM
Last Post: BadGoodDeb
  Suddenly feeling MAD at my mask...help? TheManseHen 5 1,339 01-27-2015 03:56 PM
Last Post: Sparkle