Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suddenly suffocating
Suddenly suffocating
Hi everyone. I'm new in the board but not a new CPAP user. I just woke up with a very scary feeling that I was suffocating and was so fearful I wouldn't let myself go back to sleep. In "problem solving" mode now I decided that the reason may be due to recent weight gain & I thought I should increase my pressure...so I did. From 9-13 my ears are feeling pressure-y now, though, so I think I'll lower it to 10.5 or 11. Ill call the doc in the am but wondered if anyone has any thoughts. Additionally two days ago after a few days with a tight calf, it "popped" (tear? Strain?) Quite sore and now with suffocating feeling on top of that I'm worried about DVT (no bruising, no fever though). I'd appreciate any insights, thoughts or advice
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suddenly suffocating
Welcome KarenS, I think raising your pressure in lower increments is a better idea. You have that you are using ResScan in your profile, is your pressure hitting 9 quite often. You may want to get the tear / strain checked out, I have a friend, she doesnt have sleep apnea but got a DVT and almost died, if your concerned get it checked out. Hope both get better and good luck with your higher pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KarenS,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, 9 - 13 is one heckuva jump. It is best to do it in small steps, like .5 at a time for a few days then another.

You have a data capable machine. Before messing with the pressure, check the data to see if it even needs to be moved. You don't have to have the software although it is best. Before noon, check the machine itself to see what the AHI was for that night. If it is below 5, leave it alone while everything else settles.

In looking at the data, we are looking at trends. A single night of data means nothing. There are far too many variables that go into a bad or good night's sleep. By looking at the data over time, you see what is "normal" for you and what is not.

The suffocating feeling can be a lot of things. The mask's vent was blocked, you had a bad dream, or you are overly stressed. Are you using the EPR? If you are, consider raising it if it is set at 1 or 2. My Breeze mask was fine set to off or 1. But the Swift LT I have to have it on 2 or 3. Same type of mask but totally different feeling.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,829 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 402 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Felt like I was suffocating last night! Changed too many Clinical Settings at once. JoshuaApneaProblems 3 359 01-17-2024, 05:56 AM
Last Post: Muggzy
  [CPAP] Suddenly air feels too dry.. outasleep 2 291 01-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central Hypopneas suddenly! Kingsway 4 522 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] AHI Suddenly Getting Worse bwor80 1 423 10-23-2023, 09:40 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Suddenly can't use CPAP after years of effortless use Gugliano 13 1,179 06-10-2023, 01:05 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.