Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sufferers of UARS (high RDI)
Sufferers of UARS (high RDI)
Sup fam, has anyone actually solved their UARS using PAP therapy after failing generic CPAP. I have scoured many threads and posted on many different forums and only found a single person who claims to have treated it. Please let me know as I want to know if it's even worth pursuing this pathway or if I should forget about it and find other avenues to stave off sleepiness until I can get MSE and DJS.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sufferers of UARS (high RDI)
As was mentioned in your other thread, surgical procedures typically fail to provide the relief you're after. And as you're on an ASV for questionable reasons, this isn't a generic CPAP at all.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2021, 11:33 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: As was mentioned in your other thread, surgical procedures typically fail to provide the relief you're after. And as you're on an ASV for questionable reasons, this isn't a generic CPAP at all.

I reckon people who do that dont get enough advancement. I read too many times people getting just a few mm lol. 1cm minimum is what studies show for improvements. Plus palatal expansion definitely works

im 20,  if im wearing this for the rest of my life at night. what gonna take it with me whenever i have a date, see a friend, holiday etc. ill never be able to do anything spontaneous for the rest of my life cause ill wake up feeling like trash the next day lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I have found relief with BiPAP. I was diagnosed with UARS with an RDI of 19.9. I've been on bilevel therapy for 5 months and feel great. It took about 2 months of really analyzing my data on Oscar and making slow tweaks to get there. It is a process, but with patience you can get there! I am 29, so I understand your concerns about being young with this disorder, but once you get used to the machine, it really isnt a big deal. Its worth it to get your energy back!

What did your sleep study show? I'm curious why you are on an ASV instead of BiPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Search further, there are many UARS patients that find relief on PAP. Most of them don't even need to go on forums like this because basic PAP treatment is often enough. There are numerous studies on this as well as studies that show those that fail PAP often fail surgery methods as well. Some examples can be seen in this article. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4608900/

The problem is the "I think I might have UARS" group. These are people that don't have obvious sleep disordered breathing or it is minor and not the cause of the symptoms they are hoping to treat. Many of these patients go down what I call the PAP rabbit hole chasing every flow limited breath hoping it will solve their problems but it almost never works because (imo) their issue is not SDB.

If you want confirmation of PAP effectiveness all you need to do is get a titration study done to see if PAP solves your RERA's.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 939 7 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 158 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 63 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 621 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 195 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 694 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.