Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suffocating Feeling?
RE: Suffocating Feeling?
Ok well I bumped my min pressure up from 9 to 10 and I also changed flex from 3 to 2 last night. I did wake up and look at the clock around 2:30am, but I can't remember if I took my hose off my mask. I don't think I did but heh, who knows... I feel like I slept well last night, but this data looks like junk! Attached is the night and then zoomed in around where maybe I took my mask/hose off, even though I don't recall doing it? I guess I'll keep with these settings for a few more days, see what happens?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You had a few leaks but it did not adversely affect the AHI, give it a few more nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see any evidence that you took your mask off. During the large leak, you continue to register a respiration rate that is normal for you. I'm curious: why do you think the data look like junk?

Because you feel you slept well, I think you're right to stick with these settings for a while and see how it goes. Also, as others have advised, if you take your mask off, turn off the machine instead of holding your thumb over the hose. That will help to make your charts easier to understand.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just think it looks like there's a lot of flags and looks bad. I've had previous nights with a lot less flags, lower AHI, more consistent breathing throughout the entire night. If I didn't take my mask/hose off, then did I really basically quit breathing for about 3 minutes?
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was a lot younger, much more fit and thinner, I stayed at a cousin's home most every summer and went swimming a lot. I could hold my breath to swim under water for about 2 minutes. The last I did anything near that was one of my last sleep studies with a CA of 90 seconds. I doubt you did 3 minutes on breathing hold.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave I could do 5 and a half to 6 lengths of an Olympic pool underwater, it wasn't fast and lungs would be at the burning stage when I surfaced. No Idea of how long. On the surface, anything was difficult. Mother woould panic when I did it at the lake, I couldn't figure out why?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2020, 05:12 PM)FatSleeper15 Wrote: I just think it looks like there's a lot of flags and looks bad. I've had previous nights with a lot less flags, lower AHI, more consistent breathing throughout the entire night. If I didn't take my mask/hose off, then did I really basically quit breathing for about 3 minutes?

True, you had some flags for flow limitations and RERAs, but your AHI was nice and low, and you felt like you slept well. Not saying things can’t be better still, but they are not junky. 

You’re wondering about the couple of minutes when you had a series of centrals?  You took little breaths in between them.  I think if you zoom in right there you can get a better view.  So we know your your mask was on, and we know you didn’t stop breathing for 3 minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, it's been 8 nights after I increased the minimum pressure (9 to 10) and changed my flex setting from 3 to 2. I've not once woken up feeling like I need to breathe or am gasping for air. Thanks for the helpful posts everyone! If you come across this thread for the same issue, give the two settings some changes, it may help!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for checking back and letting us know. Glad it's working better for you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bet your posts will help someone else—thanks! And I’m very glad things are better for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 254 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 388 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 321 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 302 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 806 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Treatment] 40+ AHI WITH cpap, feeling hopeless Bobblan 10 544 01-24-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,084 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.