Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sugar and AHI?
Sugar and AHI?
I have posted this before, and thought it was just a co-incidence... However, with more experience and data, it appears as if there is a correlation this time.

The findings:

All year, my AHI has been below 1... actually, my year average AHI in OSCAR shows 0.89. I have quite a few 0.0's as well. 

I am a type 2 diabetic. I have really not been looking after myself as I should have been all these years.. I have eaten pretty much anything I wanted up till now... Last week, my doctor had a pretty sobering discussion with me, and it has kick started me into eating better. Moreso cutting refined sugar out of my diet...

In 1 week, I have seen quite noticeable decreases in my blood sugar levels... As well, I have noticed my AHI has shot up... I reached 5 on a couple of nights... Most of the occurrences are CA events...  As I mentioned, I noticed this earlier in the year when I cut down on sugar, but thought it was just a coincidence... But it seems like I can switch this phenomenon off and on like a light switch...

I am not necessarily asking for answers as to why this is happening (the body is a strange machine), I am just putting it out there, incase others have noticed the same.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sugar and AHI?
Are the CA events associated with arousals?

I still wake multiple times through the night. I usually get back to sleep quickly, but I've found that if I don't have a snack before bed, I will feel hungry during arousals and have trouble going back to sleep. Whenever I'm not really asleep, I get a lot of false CA reports from momentary breath holds. Of course, I try to limit sugars in that bedtime snack.

I'm not trying to advise you on eating habits for diabetes (not remotely qualified). I'm just wondering if the CAs are real, or just a misleading side effect of sleeping poorly as you adjust to lower blood sugar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very good point... I do not believe they are linked... I do recall waking once during the night as I usually do (towards the morning), but had a pretty solid sleep up till that time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if your body is getting used to a lower glucose concentration and thinks you are fasting?

Sleep Apnea, Sleep Disturbance, and Fasting Glucose Variability: A Pilot Study

Quote:Abstract

Background:

Disturbed sleep and nocturnal altered breathing are related to disturbances of glucose metabolism. The present uncontrolled observational study explores the role of these factors on the variability of fasting glycemia.

Methods:

The number and duration of nocturnal awakenings and the fasting glycemia of 97 patients with type 2 diabetes treated with diet, metformin, or gliptins were recorded over seven consecutive days. During the same time period, the main respiratory indexes—oxygen disturbance index, apnea/hypopnea index, and respiratory disturbance index—were recorded for one night.

Results:

The three respiratory indexes and the number of nocturnal awakenings are highly correlated with the coefficient of variation of the fasting blood glucose recorded over the 7-day period at p <.005 level. A multiple regression analysis showed that the variables in the model explained 86% of the variability.

Results:

Respiratory/sleep disturbances appear to be modulators superimposed on blood glucose levels determined by other factors.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2019, 09:54 AM)horsepower Wrote: I have posted this before, and thought it was just a co-incidence... However, with more experience and data, it appears as if there is a correlation this time.

The findings:

All year, my AHI has been below 1... actually, my year average AHI in OSCAR shows 0.89. I have quite a few 0.0's as well. 

I am a type 2 diabetic. I have really not been looking after myself as I should have been all these years.. I have eaten pretty much anything I wanted up till now... Last week, my doctor had a pretty sobering discussion with me, and it has kick started me into eating better. Moreso cutting refined sugar out of my diet...

In 1 week, I have seen quite noticeable decreases in my blood sugar levels... As well, I have noticed my AHI has shot up... I reached 5 on a couple of nights... Most of the occurrences are CA events...  As I mentioned, I noticed this earlier in the year when I cut down on sugar, but thought it was just a coincidence... But it seems like I can switch this phenomenon off and on like a light switch...

I am not necessarily asking for answers as to why this is happening (the body is a strange machine), I am just putting it out there, incase others have noticed the same.

I'm a type 2 diabetic but have been on insulin morning and night for a year, as the tablets I was on for years stopped working, I make a point of having a weet bix with milk before bed every night as I don't want to wake up with a Hpo around 3am in the morning
Post Reply Post Reply
Will be interesting to see if it levels out or declines any as time goes on... I am only 2 weeks into this new "diet", and had a 6.1 last night... One of the highest I've ever had... And I don't remember waking up once.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m also T2. I find that when my BGL is above where it should be, my sleeping patterns deteriorate, and I am likely to have more, rather than less, AHI events. Lately I have only been using Dreammapper on my phone and the nights following days where I have over-indulged in carbs, I’m getting more events. If hungry at bedtime, a piece of cheese does the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
Depending on what medications (pills vs insulin), how well controlled your blood sugar has been, what your blood sugar is doing while you sleep in Response to the medicine, your body adjusting to changes in your eating habits, it wouldn’t be far fetched to think their is a correlation (I’m sure there is one).

It’s just probably very complicated and would need looking into all of the above mentioned circumstances.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am also a type 2 diabetic and haven't noticed any changes in my AHI with regard to my blood sugar.
But as far back as 5 years ago I noticed If I ate a big carb meal before bed my AHI would be lower that
night. On the other hand if I tried to start a low carb diet my AHI shot up from my normal of about 3 to
something in the 6 to 8 range.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI and sugar diet relation? horsepower 6 1,455 10-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Blood sugar issues after treating apnea with BIPAP Gugliano 7 2,359 10-21-2016, 01:59 PM
Last Post: southerndoc
  Low Blood Sugar 0rangebear 11 3,233 03-31-2016, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Cognitive & Blood Sugar Issues with REM Apneas? Clearskiesaustin 2 1,718 02-26-2015, 05:48 PM
Last Post: retired_guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.