Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suggestion about how to change settings after first days of use
Suggestion about how to change settings after first days of use
Hi guys, it's been a week since i strated to use my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset and finally my Sd reader is arrived so i want to ask some suggestions about how to change my settings. The first nights were awful, now the situation is improved but not so much, i i see that i spent 22 minutes in apnea every night.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suggestion about how to change settings after first days of use
Hi Mr.Cacciatore,

First of all, welcome to Apnea Board. Here's my initial suggestion: work on mask fit and leak control. Review the mask wiki to assist. Mask size and proper adjustments are crucial to success. Sometimes it may require another mask type or brand to be successful. With higher leak rates, the machine may not address your therapy needs accurately, and may not be able to give you the lowest AHI possible.

Feel free to ask questions.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you will get good help from the people at this forum. It would be useful if you could say what kind of mask you are using. Do you know the brand? Does it go over both your nose and your mouth? Just your nose? If just your nose, does it have two “pillows,” or is there a single space for both nostrils?
Post Reply Post Reply
"...The first nights were awful..."

Don't know if this will be of any help or comfort, but almost all of us have had several initial nights, even a few weeks, of abject terror when starting out with PAP therapy of a kind.

Just for curiosity, what do you actually mean by the word 'awful'?  In what way?  Tell us more about your first night or two.

The obvious problem, seen immediately, is the problem of 'large leaks'.  Your machine can compensate for minor leaks, but it can't deal with large leaks that overcome its capacity to supply air at pressure.  So, we need to understand where the leaks are happening, and why.  If we assume all connections are good, and assume that the hose and mask cushion have their intended integrity (no holes or tears) that leaves the fit of the mask. Another possibility, though remote, is a defective seal on the water reservoir or that the reservoir isn't properly inserted.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-05-2019, 08:55 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Hi Mr.Cacciatore,

First of all, welcome to Apnea Board. Here's my initial suggestion: work on mask fit and leak control. Review the mask wiki to assist. Mask size and proper adjustments are crucial to success. Sometimes it may require another mask type or brand to be successful. With higher leak rates, the machine may not address your therapy needs accurately, and may not be able to give you the lowest AHI possible.

Feel free to ask questions.

Tonight i will try to tighten everything. The past nights i let avery a little bit because that gave me teh felling of a better brething trhough my nose. Tomorrow i will see if the date will improve, thank you.

(09-05-2019, 10:28 AM)Dormeo Wrote: I think you will get good help from the people at this forum. It would be useful if you could say what kind of mask you are using. Do you know the brand? Does it go over both your nose and your mouth? Just your nose? If just your nose, does it have two “pillows,” or is there a single space for both nostrils?

I use the Airfit F30 and i don't know if it's because of the septum or what but i have a little bit problems to breath with my nose.

(09-05-2019, 10:50 AM)mesenteria Wrote: "...The first nights were awful..."

Don't know if this will be of any help or comfort, but almost all of us have had several initial nights, even a few weeks, of abject terror when starting out with PAP therapy of a kind.

Just for curiosity, what do you actually mean by the word 'awful'?  In what way?  Tell us more about your first night or two.

The obvious problem, seen immediately, is the problem of 'large leaks'.  Your machine can compensate for minor leaks, but it can't deal with large leaks that overcome its capacity to supply air at pressure.  So, we need to understand where the leaks are happening, and why.  If we assume all connections are good, and assume that the hose and mask cushion have their intended integrity (no holes or tears) that leaves the fit of the mask. Another possibility, though remote, is a defective seal on the water reservoir or that the reservoir isn't properly inserted.

The first times it was uncomfortable, and just when i was falling asleep the pressure of machine was increasing, probably because i used to stop to breath when falling asleep, and that increase of pressure woke me up all the time, again and again. After a couple of days the problem disappeared.

One of my problems is that i have a stuffy nose most of the time, the machine helps to clear it but not completely.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a quick follow-up. Only tighten if it's necessary and right. The goal is to minimize leaks while maintaining comfort. A lot of us have tightened the mask too much in attempting to stop the leaks when loosening was probably the better answer. Try both directions to see which is better for you. If it's tight enough to hurt anything it's wrong. In that case, it may be the wrong mask, size of cushion/seal or even type of mask. We're each uniquely individual, so what works for me might not work for you. Even so, concepts like correctly adjusting the mask is universal to a degree.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
New night, at first i thought the mask seal was good and instead i had 75% of large leak for some reason, after that in the second session i thought that the mask seal was horrible with a lot leak and instead my leak rate was almost 0. So let's take in consideration the second session, what can i do to  to improve the "clear airway" and "Hypopnea"? 

Post Reply Post Reply
In general with your machine you
To decrease hypopneas you increase pressure variance, EPR, and or pressure.

To decrease Central lol s/clear airway you reduce pressure variance and or pressure.

It's a bit hard to do both at once. We usually start with settings flex or EPR =0
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,424 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,702 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 317 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 365 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple
  EPR Change to Help With Flow Limits? upsman 4 362 01-22-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: upsman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.