Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suggestions - Parent's CPAP OSCAR Charts
Suggestions - Parent's CPAP OSCAR Charts
Howdy Folks, 

Well, now that I believe my numbers are dialed in nicely on my machine, I've turned my attention to my Parent's. I've certainly learned a lot here via Apnea Board, certainly appreciate the willingness to help and think that with y'alls help I can help my parents with their treatment. I truly don't believe that sufficient time is spent by the docs to improve things.

For now I'll present my Dad's data. He's 83 years old with congestive heart failure and with severe sleep apnea. He's been on CPAP for a number of years. Currently using a ResMed S10 Auto, with SwiftFX mask. I was a bit shocked with what I saw on the graphs. His average AHI for the past 30 days is 5.74, I'm unsure if he may be on the wrong type of machine, but from what I recall there may be some contraindications with CHF and certain machines. Due to his age and stubbornness, I anticipate that I may not be able to get certain suggestions past him, but it's worth a try.  Smile 

Here is a sampling of a few recent nights of data.

[attachment=14745] [attachment=14746] [attachment=14747]

Thanks for your support, 
Captain Steubing
Captain Steubing
The Original Captain of "The Love Boat"
Purveyor of presto magic, love and chaos!
My Personal Blog
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suggestions - Parent's CPAP OSCAR Charts
I would suggest raising the minimum to 7 that will smooth out the pressure graph somewhat and likely reduce the Hypopnoea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Similar to, though not quite as bad, as what my Dad was experiencing before we found a doctor that uses EERS.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...a-attached
Post Reply Post Reply
At 4-16 pressure with EPR 3, your dad is doing okay, but his pressure fluctuates considerably thrugh the night, and the minimum is insufficient to prevent a lot of the event. In addition his pressure support or EPR is inconsistent. A minimum pressure of 7.0 would actually start him at a pressure of 7.0/4.0 (IPAP/EPAP). This is the minimum starting point to maintain consistent PS. While I think a minimum pressure of 8.0 or 9.0 might be better, I think the argument for 7.0 is that it will be an improvement and will actually provide the same exhale pressure he starts with now, but his inhale will take less effort. That is a good thing and should really increase comfort.

I suspect that there is a positional component to the clusters of apnea, so just beware of chin tucking or using thick or multiple pillows.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Magic Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 03:51 PM)jaswilliams Wrote: I would suggest raising the minimum to 7  that will smooth out the pressure graph somewhat and likely reduce the Hypopnoea.

(08-22-2019, 04:25 PM)foxfire Wrote: Similar to, though not quite as bad, as what my Dad was experiencing before we found a doctor that uses EERS.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...a-attached

(08-22-2019, 10:44 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: At 4-16 pressure with EPR 3, your dad is doing okay, but his pressure fluctuates considerably thrugh the night, and the minimum is insufficient to prevent a lot of the event.  In addition his pressure support or EPR is inconsistent.  A minimum pressure of 7.0 would actually start him at a pressure of 7.0/4.0 (IPAP/EPAP).  This is the minimum starting point to maintain consistent PS.  While I think a minimum pressure of 8.0 or 9.0 might be better, I think the argument for 7.0 is that it will be an improvement and will actually provide the same exhale pressure he starts with now, but his inhale will take less effort.  That is a good thing and should really increase comfort.

I suspect that there is a positional component to the clusters of apnea, so just beware of chin tucking or using thick or multiple pillows.

Thank you so much jaswilliams, foxfire & Sleeprider. I really appreciate the suggestions. I'll see if I can bypass the "Grumpy Old Man", update his minimum pressure and hopefully see some better results. I suspected positional apnea also, so I'll make my Mom aware that it could be a problem and that there are ways to mitigate. 

I'll report back in after a few nights of the changes.  Thanks
Captain Steubing
The Original Captain of "The Love Boat"
Purveyor of presto magic, love and chaos!
My Personal Blog
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 6 497 5 hours ago
Last Post: phillyfan24
  Help Interpreting Charts to ID Potential Palatal Prolapse - Deep Sleep Issue reedro287 5 107 03-26-2024, 08:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 133 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New to CPAP, need help with analyze OSCAR tomakl 2 117 03-24-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: tomakl
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 109 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.