Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suggestions for a new mask
Suggestions for a new mask
Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding a new mask?

Here's my issue.....

My current mask is a Resmed Mirage softgel and this mask has serviced me well for a number of year but after loosing 53 pounds I'm not getting as good a seal as before when I had a fatter face.  I bought a Resmed Airfit N20 in the hope that this mask would be better but because I toss and turn all night long when I sleep on my side the mask would not say in place and would leak.  I've been told that because of my pressure, nasal pillows combined with the tossing and turning would not be optimal either.  So what is a good mask for someone that can't use nasal pillows and who tosses and turns all night long?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suggestions for a new mask
IDK what mask you should use but I also don't know why people say pillows are no good at higher pressure. I use nasal pillows with pressure up to 25cm. to my knowledge I don't get mask leaks but I do get lip leaks over about 13cm. a soft cervical collar takes care of most of these and it stops clusters of events. I sleep almost entirely on one side or the other. I also use a buckwheat pillow that is easily formed into whatever size/shape I want and which allows me to hang my face and mask over the edge of the bed pillow. because it's soft and pliable, the bed pillow doesn't push on the headgear to dislodge the mask. hanging your hose helps avoid that problem as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
P10 Pillow Mask -- 4 - 20 cm h2o

Respironics DreamWear Gel Pillow -- 4 - 30 cm h2o

Fisher & Paykel Brevida Nasal Pillow -- 4 - 25 cm h2o

ResMed Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow -- 4 - 20 cm h2o

Philips Respironics Nuance Gel Nasal Pillow -- 4 - 20 cm h2o

So why can't you use nasal pillows?
Post Reply Post Reply
moondoggy, I have experience like sheeplesses: my mask is a nasal pillows (AirFit P10); I sleep on my right side but move a bit during the night and occasionally turn over onto my left side.  I don't have many leaks from the mask; rather, my leaks are primarily through my mouth.  I've found that I can bury my face in my pillow (a very soft down) to the point the mask is half-buried without dislodging it.  (Well, occasionally I go too far but usually while I'm not in deep sleep.

Hope that helps.

Congrats on the weight-loss!   Dancing
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as pillow masks I recommend the Resmed Airfit P10. For Full Face Mask I recommend the Resmed F20 Air Touch.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2018, 08:05 PM)moondoggy Wrote: Does anyone have any suggestions for me regarding a new mask?

Here's my issue.....

My current mask is a Resmed Mirage softgel and this mask has serviced me well for a number of year but after loosing 53 pounds I'm not getting as good a seal as before when I had a fatter face.  I bought a Resmed Airfit N20 in the hope that this mask would be better but because I toss and turn all night long when I sleep on my side the mask would not say in place and would leak.  I've been told that because of my pressure, nasal pillows combined with the tossing and turning would not be optimal either.  So what is a good mask for someone that can't use nasal pillows and who tosses and turns all night long?

Thanks.

moondoggy, I suggest you consider the possibility that your pressure settings are too high, especially now that you have lost 53 pounds of body weight. A lower minimum pressure setting might allow you to sleep for most (or all) of the night with equally good control of your sleep apnea but with less leakage from your existing mask and possibly with less tossing and turning too. It might also let you successfully switch to a nasal pillows mask, such as the Resmed Airfit P10.

I personally experienced two years of APAP settings that were unnecessarily high (11 - 17) before I switched to a doctor who would listen to my complaints about shallow, rapid breathing. He discovered that my first doctor's office had set my machine so that the minimum pressure it delivered was almost the maximum I would ever need. Resetting the pressure settings to 6 - 13 caused a huge improvement in my sleeping experience, more relaxing  and with longer, deeper breaths.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't see why you couldn't use the P10 at your pressures.

I love the P10, and it has been the *best* mask I've tried as far as dealing with tossing & turning.

Give it a try! I bet you'll love it!

P.S. Great job on the weight loss! That's awesome!!!!!!! I've been working on the same, and have lost half that. Reading what Opinecone wrote, that makes me consider that pressures may need to be re-evaluated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Firstly, congrats on your weight loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another vote for the Respironics DreamWear Gel Pillow (used to use the Swift FX and like the Dreamwear a bit more) and I have the head gear so loose that I can put my entire hand under it. I have ZERO leaks and flop around like a fish on deck. My pressure was 15-18 and is now 13-15 after my most recent sleep study. With both I had no leaks. The other recommendations I have not tried so can't comment. What I like about the Dreamwear Gel Pillows are that each pillow is like a mini Mirage Activa in how it feels and works.

Also look at your hose management. Consider a hose lift if you don't already use one. I also like to use a hose cover. It adds some weight to the hose and keeps it from flipping due to its own flexing when turned or twisted.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for suggestions chzuck 31 528 04-13-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: chzuck
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 160 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 3,043 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 310 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 334 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 310 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 598 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.