Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suggestions for keeping hands off face while sleeping
Suggestions for keeping hands off face while sleeping
We are having trouble keeping a non-leaking mask on my father's face. He is 91 years old, sleeps on his back because of back pain and difficulty turning over by himself. We put the mask on when he goes to bed with no leaks and in the middle of the night he starts moving the mask around. His leak rate is between 60 and 120 at that time.
Anyone have suggestions on how to keep him from touching his face?

He wore a cervical collar last night to lessen mouth breathing but that didn't keep him from changing the mask position.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suggestions for keeping hands off face while sleeping
This is a tough one.  Many years ago, my eldest daughter, then about eleven or twelve, had begun to scratch and to pick at herself during the night/or while she was asleep.  It left her with sores all over her bottom (weirdly??) for which our GP said to use a corticosteroid cream and to place thick work socks over her hands.  It wasn't an instant turnaround.  I seem to recall, now 40 years later, that we had to do this for close to a year, but the steroid cleared up the worst of it very shortly.

I don't think you can use something like a kid's mittens with the silly string that prevents one hand from coming to the face if the string is the correct length.  That sounds hilarious...okay...maybe not...but something as drastic as that might be in the offing.

Have you ever noticed pressure point lesions around his upper lip or his nose? It may be that, when in a certain position, the mask gets deflected or deformed just enough that, after 20 minutes or less, he arouses to relieve himself of discomfort or pain. This may be out in left field, but it's worth consideration and ruling it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suggestions for keeping hands off face while sleeping
I thought about mittens but I don't think he'd wear them and if he did he could still push the mask around.

He does not have any sores on his face though his nose gets hurt if the mask isn't taken off gently.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 985 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 824 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 208 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 526 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,933 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.