Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suggestions on how to integrate backup APAP with primary unit
Question 
Suggestions on how to integrate backup APAP with primary unit
Just received my new backup/travel, Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her. I am wondering on how to integrate this backup into the normal operations of my main unit, Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset. I am 4 months into my CPAP therapy. I have a 5 year extended warranty (3 year manufacturer plus 2 by DME/sleep clinic) with my main unit. My backup has a 3 year Canadian warranty.

I am thinking 3 weeks with my main unit and switch 1 week with my backup and then back to the main unit for 3 weeks, then 1 week backup, etc. I have NO compliance requirements. My insurance paid 100% for my main unit; I paid 100% for the backup.

I have the optional dark gray side cover for my main unit for travel.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suggestions on how to integrate backup APAP with primary unit
I don't know that you would have any benefit to using the machine periodically other than to just use a different looking machine. So long as the settings are identical the machine will feel the same.
I do urge that when you put a machine up for storage that the humidifier tub, hose and mask be cleaned and thoroughly dry. I also suggest that when you store a machine that you store it in a dry and odor free place and in its protective case.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
A backup machine should be used periodically. How you do that is up to you.
Both machines are new, so you want to make sure you run both machines within the warranty periods in case something goes wrong with them.

If it were me, I might alternate them every other month, or use the one with the shortest warranty period more often. Do what is convenient for you.

Be sure that each machine has its own SD card, as each machine has its own serial number, and
#SleepyHead won’t have a problem recognizing two different machines.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have two identical machines. I switch machines every few months to even out the wear and tear, so I will have two machines for as long as possible. I also have two old dinosaurs, an S8 and an S7. I occasionally run them to make sure they are still running.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would use your other machine as back up and run the one with the warranty on it, but that is just me, I would always run the one that is going to cost nothing to repair.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that you have a backup, there will never be a failure until the backup is not available.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2018, 10:46 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: I would use your other machine as back up and run the one with the warranty on it, but that is just me, I would always run the one that is going to cost nothing to repair.

As per my original post, both units have warranties for 3 to 5 years.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Whatever arrangement works for you. I think 3 weeks on one and 1 week on the other is perfect. They offer these long warranties because few machines fail within that period, so chances are you'll never need the warranty repair for either even if you are running them all the time.

Find out the details on your DME extended warranty. My unit paid for by Medicare is covered even if it is lost or stolen. They will also repair or replace machine for some stuff not covered by warranty. That makes it my travel machine as well. However, I leave my non-warrantied machine all set to go in case of family emergency or if I'm in the hospital and someone needs to bring me a machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,326 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 362 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 555 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.