Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suggestions to improve AHI
Suggestions to improve AHI
Hi all,

I was reading the wiki pages of apnea board recently and have also great inputs from from topics here! I recently started to check my OSCAR data and trying to see if I can further improve my AHI. Recently, I started to use chin strap which improved leak rate and lowered my AHI from 4.x to 2.x. I am curious, looking at charts, if anyone have any other comments or suggestions?
Edit: somehow copy-paste OSCAR screenshots to the post did not work, so I attached them as PNG files to the post.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suggestions to improve AHI
Copy-pasting screenshots (if you figure iy out) results in picture that are usually too small to read and can't be resized.

Using the attachment feature results in thumbnails that can be displayed full size, and therefore much more usable.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Kawabata,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Most of your AHI are Hypopnea.  Respironics machines are normally slower to react.

Raising the minimum pressure will give the Respironics algorithm a head start.

Try setting the minimum pressure at 7cm, leave maximum pressure at 10cm.  
Also, add some AFlex to help with exhalation.  Set it to 2 and watch for a few days.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2023, 06:16 AM)pholynyk Wrote: Copy-pasting screenshots (if you figure iy out) results in picture that are usually too small to read and can't be resized.

Using the attachment feature results in thumbnails that can be displayed full size, and therefore much more usable.
Thanks for the tip pholynyk.

(03-28-2023, 07:31 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hi Kawabata,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Most of your AHI are Hypopnea.  Respironics machines are normally slower to react.

Raising the minimum pressure will give the Respironics algorithm a head start.

Try setting the minimum pressure at 7cm, leave maximum pressure at 10cm.  
Also, add some AFlex to help with exhalation.  Set it to 2 and watch for a few days.

Thanks a lot  for the insight. I will discuss this with my CPAP supplier. My machine's settings are locked so I cannot change them myself. On the other hand, if your AHI is lower than 5, they do not help or check unless you complain.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2023, 07:52 AM)kawahara Wrote: Thanks a lot  for the insight. I will discuss this with my CPAP supplier. My machine's settings are locked so I cannot change them myself. On the other hand, if your AHI is lower than 5, they do not help or check unless you complain.

Yes, they think all is well if your AHI is under 5.  But those of us that actually use these machines know better.  

You can change the settings yourself if you want to.  This doesn't affect compliance at all as long as you're using the Cpap.

Use this link and order a free copy of the Clinicians Manual.  This way, you will have a better understanding of your machine and know how to access the "secret menu" and make the changes yourself if needed.  

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2023, 08:11 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Yes, they think all is well if your AHI is under 5.  But those of us that actually use these machines know better.  

You can change the settings yourself if you want to.  This doesn't affect compliance at all as long as you're using the Cpap.

Use this link and order a free copy of the Clinicians Manual.  This way, you will have a better understanding of your machine and know how to access the "secret menu" and make the changes yourself if needed.  

Thanks, very useful. I requested the manual. I will dive into it once they send.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,927 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 251 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,286 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Improve Respiratory Rate? MrIvanDrago 4 344 02-16-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Improve my CPAP Performance dpoelker 4 260 02-06-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.