Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: Respironics System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 18/14
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Quattro FX

Sex: Male

Summer Heat
I live in southern NM and we use evaporative cooling so during our summer monsoon season, during high humidity, they don't work as well. I've noticed for the last several weeks that perspiration and skin oils builds up under my mask seal and I develop mask leaks. This causes two problems. First the mask leaks making noise which interrupts my sleep patterns by waking me up so I can reseal the mask and second those air leaks cause my AHI values to increase. It was cooler last night and things seemed to be better. Just sharing in case others are having similar weather related issues.

This is still a great place to learn and share experiences!

Have a wonderful day,

Jim
08-22-2012 01:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: Summer Heat
I've been having one heck of a time with leaks lately. I got a news mask just prior to going out of town so I took that one. When I returned, I continued using it. But it's never fit right. No clue why. I've compared them side by side and made sure I had the adjustments the same (the Breeze has a lot of places to adjust which is good and bad) but it still leaks. It is driving me nuts.

I wish it were weather related but it's gotten cool here and it is still happening.

Never ending fun, ain't it?

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-22-2012 01:38 PM
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(08-22-2012 01:26 PM)312capri Wrote:  I live in southern NM and we use evaporative cooling so during our summer monsoon season, during high humidity, they don't work as well. I've noticed for the last several weeks that perspiration and skin oils builds up under my mask seal and I develop mask leaks. This causes two problems. First the mask leaks making noise which interrupts my sleep patterns by waking me up so I can reseal the mask and second those air leaks cause my AHI values to increase. It was cooler last night and things seemed to be better. Just sharing in case others are having similar weather related issues.

This is still a great place to learn and share experiences!

Have a wonderful day,

Jim

We are getting the same with these storms coming up from Mexico. They've been hanging over the mountains and driving the humidity through the roof! This morning it rained for about 2 minutes, then in the midmorning the sun came through nice and hot. Miserable! I've been having leaks during this as well but it should be over with soon. Sept is almost here so another week or two and we should be back to our beautiful weather! By the way, we use air conditioning, and for some reason I am STILL having the leaks! So I think it is just the weather and not your swamp cooler that is doing it! Just a thought!

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
08-22-2012 04:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

You could try turn the humidity off but put water in the tank (passover) so you get some moisture but not heat. In hot weather I kept a wet flannel at the bedside table to wipe my face when get sweaty. Some people reported that a mask liner can absorb some of the moisture.
08-22-2012 05:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  HME (Heat moisture exchange filters) hozholla 3 651 05-13-2016 03:26 PM
Last Post: bill-e
  xPAP in Summer - air conditioned bedroom more important? green wings 16 824 04-24-2016 09:09 PM
Last Post: AshSF
  [CPAP] Heat Moisture Exchanger (HME) for Z1Travel CPAP machine cykoek 9 4,917 12-27-2015 01:21 PM
Last Post: Sedgwick
  OK to turn off heat and humifier on AirSense 10? what 19 6,775 09-15-2015 07:24 PM
Last Post: parkerdt
  Using heated coil or not in Summer? Hilobarbie 14 2,054 04-08-2015 11:27 PM
Last Post: Hilobarbie
  [Equipment] Transcend Heat Humidifer Issue wolfydave 2 699 03-14-2015 07:12 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Heated Hose In Summer? player 11 2,283 03-13-2015 11:31 AM
Last Post: OMyMyOHellYes