Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Summer is coming, Temps are rising
Summer is coming, Temps are rising
Living in Arizona, summer arrives early. Last night as the temps hit 92 F, my Air Conditioner kicked on and kept the house at 75 F.

But with my FFM and modified cervical collar (dr dakota) , I got really uncomfortable at an ambient Temp that normally is just fine. In fact, I took off the collar after a couple of hours just to get to sleep.

Instead of turning down the AC even lower, I was thinking of adding some ice to my humidifier to at least get some cooler air while trying to fall asleep.
Does this seen like a good idea? Will it screw up the humidification? Has anyone tried this (or anything else) to get cool?
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Summer is coming, Temps are rising
(04-27-2018, 04:37 PM)Allessio77 Wrote: . . . I was thinking of adding some ice to my humidifier to at least get some cooler air while trying to fall asleep.
Does this seen like a good idea? Will it screw up the humidification? Has anyone tried this (or anything else) to get cool?

Yes, it's good idea. Several members on the forum do the exact same thing.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If that ends up being too cool, just shut off the temperature control and heated hose control, and use passover humidification--water in tank but no heat, I usually do that all summer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a small fan set up nearby, say on a dresser, and make it work over your body at whichever speed you can stand for noise and comfort. Let the A/C do what it can, and you keep your skin cooler with a cheap fan. Lay atop your sheets if necessary. Making ice and handling it to get a few hours of sleep may work, even well, but it seems unnecessary to me. Even a ceiling fan does wonders. It's what my wife and I prefer.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2018, 04:58 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Get a small fan set up nearby, say on a dresser, and make it work over your body at whichever speed you can stand for noise and comfort.  Let the A/C do what it can, and you keep your skin cooler with a cheap fan.  Lay atop your sheets if necessary.  Making ice and handling it to get a few hours of sleep may work, even well, but it seems unnecessary to me.  Even a ceiling fan does wonders.  It's what my wife and I prefer.

I do use a ceiling fan (set counter clockwise for summer). And I do lay on my sheets. But it is around the modified cervical collar that gets hot and the fans don't seem to be able to get past the collar to my neck. I will try a smaller directed fan though...I have one in storage. Thanks.
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
good luck, I am in Georgia and it gets hot and humid here so I understand.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm born and raised in Georgia. It's normal here. It's just everywhere else is cold and dry.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know how to shut off temperature but how do I turn off the heated hose control?  Are you still using the climate air tubing?
Post Reply Post Reply
When the ClimateLine is plugged in you have a temperature option besides a humidity level.  Turning the temperature all the way down will set it to off.  I believe that it occurs below a 65o setting.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2018, 06:08 PM)Allessio77 Wrote:
(04-27-2018, 04:58 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Get a small fan set up nearby, say on a dresser, and make it work over your body at whichever speed you can stand for noise and comfort.  Let the A/C do what it can, and you keep your skin cooler with a cheap fan.  Lay atop your sheets if necessary.  Making ice and handling it to get a few hours of sleep may work, even well, but it seems unnecessary to me.  Even a ceiling fan does wonders.  It's what my wife and I prefer.

I do use a ceiling fan (set counter clockwise for summer). And I do lay on my sheets. But it is around the modified cervical collar that gets hot and the fans don't seem to be able to get past the collar to my neck. I will try a smaller directed fan though...I have one in storage. Thanks.

I hear you.  I guess what I mean most is that, if you keep the rest of you cool, the discomfort under that cervical collar won't/shouldn't seem quite so bad.  If you are generally uncomfortably warm, feel muggy, then that collar might be unbearable.  If you can't get that almost chilled feeling while you fall asleep so that the collar almost seems welcome, then I don't know what else you can do reasonably except to remove the collar, or put it on later if you typically awaken after a couple of hours; it might feel more welcome then.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,226 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
Question [News] RESMED CHANGES COMING? srlevine1 6 988 12-30-2023, 12:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Centrals coming back Gperry 9 691 12-05-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  6+ of CPAP, but symptoms are coming back for some reason terrytorres 7 638 09-22-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Are my symptoms even coming from sleep apnea? OSCAR attached apmea 8 864 08-23-2023, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  CA rising - help SFLGuy 3 471 06-18-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: SFLGuy
  Does anyone know of new cpap masks coming out this year? Jimnyc2000 9 1,051 06-08-2023, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Bostonsnow

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.