Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Supplemental Oxygen
RE: Supplemental Oxygen
(02-12-2013, 11:22 AM)rickm Wrote: Supplemental oxygen appears to be uniformly dismissed as a remedy for sleep apnea, yet I find but two minor studies of this possibility on Pubmed. Is there any clinical support for the application of supplemental oxygen to sleep apnea? I would appreciate responses from those who: (a) Have tried it, and (b) Who know more than I do.

This is an old thread and you've received excellent answers, but if you're still considering this, I did want to mention that long term use of high percentages of O2 can actually be harmful:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/778505_3

Terry

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it's a necro thread. That said, My Rx calls for 2 LPM O2 injected into the xPAP flow. My baseline O2 was low during my study.
If your baseline is 90; you will desat deeper during an apnea event. I suspect I could d/c the O2 at this time.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2014, 08:32 AM)justMongo Wrote: Yes, it's a necro thread. That said, My Rx calls for 2 LPM O2 injected into the xPAP flow. My baseline O2 was low during my study.
If your baseline is 90; you will desat deeper during an apnea event. I suspect I could d/c the O2 at this time.

I'm not saying that nobody should use O2, just that the high percentages and long term use could be a problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
As stated above, O2 does nothing to actually "treat" the sleep apnea (but that is not to say that it can't be of some benefit to a patient that can't get used to wearing CPAP).

If you have hypoventilation, O2 can keep your oxygen level from dropping as low as it would without the O2. With apneas, the first breath you take upon breathing again will be mostly O2 to help your oxygen level recover much faster than it would without the O2.

So, IMO, PAP is better than O2 alone is better than nothing.

When it comes to ordering PAP + O2, I usually see that ordered with patients with underlying lung/heart condition in addition to the sleep apnea. Very large patients (hypoventilation issues) may also benefit from O2 in conjunction with PAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2013, 11:22 AM)rickm Wrote: Supplemental oxygen appears to be uniformly dismissed as a remedy for sleep apnea, yet I find but two minor studies of this possibility on Pubmed. Is there any clinical support for the application of supplemental oxygen to sleep apnea? I would appreciate responses from those who: (a) Have tried it, and (b) Who know more than I do.

This is not a specific answer to your question, but I would like to share some things with you that may help.
I use the Contec CMS60C pulse/oximeter and before I had the APAP machine, my doctor put me on 2Lm Oxygen concentrator with a cannula after I showed him I was going into the low 70s during sleep (probably REM sleep). I showed him the printouts and he immediately ordered an O2 concentrator/cannula for me during sleep. The supplemental O2 raised the SpO2 ten points from the low 70s to the 80s and many, many times, nomal readings (mid to upper 90s). However, low 80s is not acceptable either, therefore a sleep test was ordered and I showed an AHI of 38 and of course, an APAP was ordered.
Those same SpO2 numbers occurred after I got my APAP machine and I have dozens and dozens of recordings to back up both of these findings (AHI dropped to low teens though). Also, I have severe peripheral neuropathy and used to wake up with black toes and dead hands and feet and other parts and I really don't care what the studies show or even if there are any. I believe in patient empowerment and so does my doctor and I believe in common sense and educating myself. You can't argue with success.
My suggestion, if you don't have an oximeter, get one. They aren't that expensive and test yourself all night to see where you are. Those low numbers that I was experiencing are not acceptable. Oh, in case it's not obvious, I'm using APAP and supplemental O2 injected during sleep. Either way you look at it, AHI 38 and SpO2 in 70s and 80s is... well, neither is acceptable... you're dying - my opinion. It's just a no-brainer to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Richard I gree with you totally.
My sleep study AHI was 84 now with my ASV I stay bellow 2, but I still have desat events according to my CMS 50i. I have been using 2.5 LPM O2 with about 92% SPO2. I just bumped up my O2 to 3.0 LPM and my SPO2 is 94. I still have a few spikes but I am happy now with my results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: rickm wrote:
My question has been answered and more. You have devoted a great deal of time to your reply and it is much appreciated.
Although I have been on supplemental O2 for 14 odd years, there's little I can add to the excellent replies already posted. My feeling however, O2 has been & is my saviour.Rolleyes O2 helps me to recover more quickly from an apnoea event by causing my SPO2 to rise back to normal levels more quickly. Thus limiting the amount of damage low levels cause, as well as providing a better day than otherwise would be the case.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 918 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 355 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 525 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,061 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Is there a standrad for Oxygen Desat Events. dataq1 3 417 12-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.