Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Supplier Does Not Have CPAP Units to Dispense
Supplier Does Not Have CPAP Units to Dispense
An addendum:

My cousin who was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, has yet to get a CPAP. The local provider evidently does not have units. So she is on wait list? I am told due to demand, supply shortages, and recalls, her local provider has NO units to dispense? How common is this? I guess despite all the weird issues with Covid protocols. at least there was a machine when I got a prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Supplier Does Not Have CPAP Units to Dispense
Jomoama, I split your question to this new thread from the Success Stories thread. My suggestion is that your cousin should research in-network providers through their insurance and identify a different provider with available stock. The prescription can easily be moved to the new provider. There are machines available, however they are being sold for full price or a premium these days. Since insurance sales are generally under a contract that limits the price the DME can charge, many are finding it more profitable to sell directly rather than to insured patients. I strongly recommend your cousin stipulate the Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset to be dispensed. The Philips Dreamstation 2 does not provide data due to the decision by Philips to encrypt the data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed last week and my wait for a machine is 6-8 weeks long, I was told. I went out and purchased a travel-sized CPAP, a ResMed AirMini in the meantime so I could start therapy as soon as possible. I intend to switch over once the insurance-paid machine arrives and keep the AirMini for travel.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd be calling any DME in-network for your insurance to find a PAP. It doesn't need to be nearby to service your needs. These DME's can probably ship it. I would focus on ResMed machines.

The one exception is supplemental oxygen. Then they need to be closer to service the oxygen, and have 24 hour service available.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you look at the consequences of not using a CPAP (e.g. death by heart attack while sleeping), I am incredulous at any doctor or DME who does not get their patient a CPAP expeditiously.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2021, 01:06 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: When you look at the consequences of not using a CPAP (e.g. death by heart attack while sleeping), I am incredulous at any doctor or DME who does not get their patient a CPAP expeditiously.

Agreed. My sleep apnea + hypertension might have been the cause of my atrial fibrillation. With AFib taken care of, I need to address my apnea right away to keep my sinus rhythm and my blood pressure in check.

But the supply chain is currently so messed up, I can't really blame the Doctors or suppliers for the delay.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2021, 09:26 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Jomoama, I split your question to this new thread from the Success Stories thread.  My suggestion is that your cousin should research in-network providers through their insurance and identify a different provider with available stock. The prescription can easily be moved to the new provider.  There are machines available, however they are being sold for full price or a premium these days. Since insurance sales are generally under a contract that limits the price the DME can charge, many are finding it more profitable to sell directly rather than to insured patients.  I strongly recommend your cousin stipulate the Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset to be dispensed. The Philips Dreamstation 2 does not provide data due to the decision by Philips to encrypt the data.

There is a lot of hate on this forum for the DS2 but if you are an established user it is amazing.  I can check my AHI on the Dream mapper app easily.  If I don't  need anymore than that who cares if they encrypt it. My AHI's are super low with this machine using the parameters sent over from the DS1.  I had a friend give me a Resmed Autoset 10 to use while waiting for my DS2 and I was very impressed as well.  I just choose to use the DS2 because my insurance pays for all supplies and keep the Autoset 10 as an emergency backup.
Post Reply Post Reply
Speed, It's not hate. I have used both Philips and Resmed. I live in Murrysville and would like nothing more than for Philips Respironics to succeed. The facts are, that since the small private company Respironics was purchased by Philips mega-corporation, the only advancement in their devices has been cosmetic, not therapeutic. Philips has introduced aggressive marketing techniques that bind doctors, clinicians and suppliers to exclusively distribute the Philips products, reducing consumer choice and increasing costs. Philips corporation will not talk to you or any other patient. Their clients are doctors, DMEs and clinics, not the end-user. In encrypting data, they have decreased the ability of patients to understand and optimize their results, and is forcing them to pay for consultations with subscribers to their software. This increases profits to sleep doctors and clinics and has no benefit to the users. Professional consultation is, and always has been an option, but by denying access to your own information, the users do not know the reasons therapy is failing. This is especially true of inexperienced new users that may have more complex problems like upper airway restriction, central apnea or any number of things that the data helps to identify and resolve.

This is not "hate" on Philips. They started the hate. I'm merely reflecting it. Why do you so easily accept that this corporation has denied you access to your own data that your would criticize me for standing up for patient rights?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to advise you to be careful about the word "hate" within your post's context. We don't hate Respironics, nor do we hate Respironics users. There is, however, a decisive and informed choice for ResMed over Philips Respironics products, as the ResMed offers better therapy for most users. This better therapy has been proven by several Apnea Board members in their therapy threads with OSCAR charts to support it.

Back to the word of choice "hate". I'm not trying to make this some political game. But the current ploy of many liberal leaning citizens is to use the word hate when others oppose their choice. If I say ResMed is a better choice but you like Respironics, then frequently these days it becomes I hate you, your choice, or what you chose. That is certainly not the case here. I am not inferring you're liberal, but merely caught up in the trend as discussed above.

This above is my own comments alone, not necessarily pertaining to anyone else's on Apnea Board.

Now to maintain keeping this on topic, a lot of CPAP users do not agree with Respironics encryption of their own patient data. And I would be included in that group. I won't choose to use a Respironics, but I think it's a very badly conceived idea to lock the data away so the patient cannot view his or her usage data.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another addendum:

My cousin will get a CPAP thru a different provider.  She is on Medicare.  Also she does not know what device she will get but it will be tomorrow not weeks or months.  Her doc did  work to find a local DME that had stock and will dispense.  She sees the same doctor that I do.  She is anxious to get her therapy started.  Thank you all for your suggestions.  
Jo
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 218 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  GRRR. DME supplier shipped ClimateLineAir Heated Tubing in a BAG DaveInDenver 4 561 11-12-2023, 10:32 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 792 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898
  Resmed A10 Autoset - Great Buy - Supplier 1 foss 0 541 11-29-2022, 05:11 PM
Last Post: foss
  Insurance and DME supplier vs Online purchases ajthatch 4 846 10-28-2022, 09:00 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Cpap supplier jerking your chain ger365 10 1,379 06-21-2022, 10:01 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  Supplier no. 9? And Resmed hose question TheManseHen 5 948 04-22-2022, 09:06 AM
Last Post: SilverD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.