Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Supplier requires new prescription to test my machine??
Supplier requires new prescription to test my machine??
I've been a Cpap user for over 12 years. 3 years ago I bought a new ResMed S9 machine and the Lincare sales lady got the old prescription from my original doctor to get it approved. Recently my machine seems to be acting odd and aometimes I don't sleep as well. I think it's a mask issue but wanted to have the machine checked. I called Lincare to ask them to check my machine but they said it's been too long so I'm inactive--even though it's only been about 3 years since I bought the machine from a sales person at a branch office who is no longer there--and 6 months ago this office sold me a new power cord for my S9. When I said some nights I feel like I'm suffocating and their 800 number glued on my machine says to call anytime, she said that's only if you're an active customer. Because I'm inactive I must now have the doctor send them a new prescription or get a new sleep study done! All just to have them check my machine! I haven't seen the original Doctor since 2003 so when I called his office to ask for a copy of the prescription they too said it was done too ago and I'd have to register as new patient and have a new sleep study done. I then called a local supplier of Cpap supplies and they said I had to have a prescription for them to help me! I said, my current doctor gave me a prescription for new supplies, but she can't give me a prescription for the original diagnosis. So this group also says they can't help me. Meanwhile I've been laid off of my job and have no insurance. I did try an old mask for a few days and things are better, but what if that changes and I really need the S9 checked? So I've contacted the hospital where I had the original study done and asked for a copy of the records. Am hoping my current Doctor will use that to write me a prescription so SOMEONE will be willing to check my machine if I have another problem and before I suffocate! Any other suggestions? I really can't afford a new sleep study and don't know that it's necessary. Would be willing to selfpay to have a titration or oxometer test done, but I've read with the S9 self adjusting they may not be needed or helpful--and don't know that anyone will let me do them anyway! Open to any good advice. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Supplier requires new prescription to test my machine??
Hmm. I don't think anyone is going to write you a prescript. But Lincair needs to go jump in the lake.
So what can you do right now?
If I were you, I would get set up with Sleepyhead software. Then you will be able to see what is going on better.
If your machine is going bonkers it will show up. Maybe your mask is just getting leaky. That will
show up too.
Up front cost to you: Zero.
This group will then be able to help you trouble shoot what's going on and offer advise on
what you can do to correct the issue(s).

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
What Shastzi said, plus, could you provide some description of how you feel like you are suffocating? When you beat in, as if there is no air, or when you breath out as in it is too hard to breath out? What mode are you running the machine in, APAP (Auto), CPAP(Constant), etc, and what pressure settings do you have it set to. All those settings will be revealed in Sleepyhead or you can look into the Clinicians menu (see top of this page or how to do that on your S9).
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
find a different DME to check the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, we really don't give good advice; but we do offer opinions.
First Opinion: They are giving you "the run around."
Second: With your original sleep study, you might get your general medicine doctor to write a new script.
Third: Shastzi offered a good suggestion. Sleepyhead can offer insight as to whether your machine is misbehaving.

Lesson: Always get a copy of your sleep study and your prescription. Some of the suppliers on the list above will accept an "old" prescription to sell you a machine at a price far less than a new sleep study. (even in the OP, it appears Lincare was willing to accept a 9 year old Rx for a new machine.)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rgbeard75,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
Good luck to you with getting your machine checked.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the filter dirty?

As mentioned above, SleepyHead will show you (or us) what's going on.

Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
1. Check Sleepyhead first. It will help to determine if it is your mask and not the machine.

2. Get your machine checked by either Supplier #27 or 28

3. While it's true that Lincare needs an updated prescription for NEW stuff, they do NOT need it for repair or to check your machine. Call the Corporate office and complain.

4. You have now learned the value of getting copies of all your information from studies AND a copy of your prescription for durable medical equipment.

5. This stuff ALWAYS happens when you have other problems, like loss of job. You have my sincerest sympathy on that!

6. Yes, if you get a copy of the original study, your primary may very well give you a script for your machine. Medicare accepts the original study if it is 10 or less years old.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 99 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 120 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 169 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 132 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 213 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 883 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 868 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.