Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Any advice on this flow rate pattern?
Any advice on this flow rate pattern?
Good Morning,

I was looking through my data from last night when I noticed an odd pattern to my breathing flow rate that is not something I have seen in my data before and I have not seen it as an example of a typical flow rate.
This doesn't really correspond to an apnea event or a flow restriction so it makes me curious.
I do have a very deviated septum which I believe is causing some of my issue with flow limitations (surgery is on the 23rd and I'm optimistic to see some improvement).
The screenshot of the data is attached here:

[Image: bSX06v2.png]

Any thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any advice on this flow rate pattern?
That cutoff and slope on inspiration is mild FL followed by normal expiration with a 1-1.5 second zero-flow ahead of the next inspiration...looks normal to me. What are you seeing?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply.
Typically I don't see the two stages with a flow limitation.
Normally during periods with FL my inhale looks like a textbook picture with a single plateau then exhale. I don't usually have the second stage of inhalation at the end.
I guess with the different signature made me curious but perhaps it is the variation with breathing with the deviated septum that can cause these irregularities.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
That kink (change in df/dt) is likely where EPR kicks in. It's really a rather normal flow wave.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2017, 11:57 AM)doickle Wrote: Thanks for the reply.
Typically I don't see the two stages with a flow limitation.
Normally during periods with FL my inhale looks like a textbook picture with a single plateau then exhale. I don't usually have the second stage of inhalation at the end.
I guess with the different signature made me curious but perhaps it is the variation with breathing with the deviated septum that can cause these irregularities.

Thanks

The nice curved breath in the middle is probably your normal.  Nothing unusual about the ones we were commenting on, but it is very mild FL, and would not even show up in statistics. It's nothing to worry about, and you're fortunate that your normal is normal.  Coffee

JM, the I'm not sure what d/f d/t is?  EPR kicks in as inspiration ends and the line crosses the zero-flow line. Pressure falls rapidly and the rate of decrease slows near the end of expiration.   This particular graph would be good to look at with the Mask Pressure graph below the flow rate like this. Here you can see the peak of IPAP is reached just before the flow line crosses zero, then EPAP kicks in, and begins to increase pressure following the beginning of inhale. Note that during apnea, no pressure increase occurs until the apnea ends.

[Image: wxNRuZuh.png]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
df/dt is the slope of the curve. df being the small change in flow rate for a corresponding small change in time, dt.

Best,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 73 11 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 248 2 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 5 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.