Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Supplies Scam ?
Supplies Scam ?
I'm a new member, first post so forgive me if I'm doing something wrong.
My question: is the way I get my supplies kind of a Medicare scam? My sleep Doc only gave me one option where to go to get my machine. They set me up with a Resmed 10 with all the options and sent me on my way with a bunch of supplies. I've followed maintenance guidelines and still had a lot left when 3 mos later I received a bunch more replacement items, many of which I don't need. I'm not getting a bill so I assume the supplier (and the doc?) are billing Medicare a lot. So how do I get out of this cozy deal they have going.? I don't want to p*** off the doc since I need him. And, is this common?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Supplies Scam ?
Some DME's do this. It's based on the Medicare replacement schedule. Medicare allows for you to have a new mask after a certain period of time, so the DME is proactively sending it to you. Some wasteful? Maybe so. But it's Medicare, and the manufacturer who are driving the boat.
Post Reply Post Reply
and some things like cushions and filters you should be getting every month instead of every 3 months but that's inconvenient for them so they're doing it for their convenience and according to Medicare guidelines No supplier is supposed to send any supplies to you their client without their approval first
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DVScott,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-21-2015, 11:57 AM)DVScott Wrote: I'm a new member, first post so forgive me if I'm doing something wrong.
My question: is the way I get my supplies kind of a Medicare scam? My sleep Doc only gave me one option where to go to get my machine. They set me up with a Resmed 10 with all the options and sent me on my way with a bunch of supplies. I've followed maintenance guidelines and still had a lot left when 3 mos later I received a bunch more replacement items, many of which I don't need. I'm not getting a bill so I assume the supplier (and the doc?) are billing Medicare a lot. So how do I get out of this cozy deal they have going.? I don't want to p*** off the doc since I need him. And, is this common?

1 It's not a scam as others have said Medicare has a schedule of what and when supplies are delivered.
Medicare replacement frequency
Tubing 1/3 months
Filters:
a. non disposable (foam) 1/6 months
b. disposable 2/month
Mask 1/3 months
Mask Cushion 2/ month
Headgear 1/6 months
Chin Strap 1/6 months
Shell/Swivel=Mask 1/3 months

For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps "scam" is too strong. I'm suspicious of caregivers supplying based on Medicare guidelines ever since a physical therapist charged me $800 for a wrist brace I can buy at Walgreen's for $20 because "That's what Medicare will pay".
Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare has a set scale of what they pay for every medical item you receive. For example, Medicare will only pay a set price for any Xpap machine no matter what it is. Same for X-Rays, shots, anything. If you do not like what Medicare is doing for you drop out of Medicare and pay for everything yourself, and just pray you have no medical problems the rest of your life.
For free Medicare assistance for your state check out this page. http://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/dire...onal/SHIP/
or here http://www.medicareinteractive.org/
Post Reply Post Reply
when it comes to Medicare the supplier is not supposed to send the client any supplies without their previous approval for what supplies will be sent I do not believe the OP is complaining about Medicare itself but that there are supplies being sent that are not needed also there are Medicare Advantage plans that still go by Medicare guidelines but sometimes their coverage is better but you'll have to pay extra for that over and above what is paid for medicare.

Post Reply Post Reply
DVScott, just call the DME and tell them not to automatically send supplies without your prior authorization. If you need something, get it. Otherwise, you will end up with a stash of masks, hoses and humidifier chambers you will never use.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No problem.

Sell them on ebay and state "Only ships to Australia" or something. That way you are not breaking any US reselling laws.

I live in Australia and I buy from this very method. I search "Resmed Airfit 10 mask" or "Resmed airfit 10 pillows" and lo and behold a mask costing a Resmed controlled price of $280 in Australia can be had for $99 plus postage from ebay sellers in the US.

These supplies come in plastic bags and not the Resmed retail boxes. Clearly you guys are offloading the stuff you don't need.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 152 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Extra Supplies Columbiabill 2 389 12-28-2023, 03:15 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,023 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,576 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.