Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Surfactant recommendation
I'm needing a Jedi-ChemMaster to tell me what makes a better surfactant for a 44% Glyphosate / 1% Imazapyr herbicide solution.

Which is better, a Dawn type detergent, a citrus based degreaser, or a butyl based industrial degreaser?
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I will usually use Dawn since it is an effective surfactant that will break the surface tension on water and allow more complete coating. Other candidates include products specifically designed as surfactants without detergent like Jet-Dry that you use in the dishwasher, and window cleaning products used with squeegees.

Organic, citrus cleaners and butyl solvents may have surfactant qualities but they are mainly solvents and emulsifiers of large molecule organics like fats, oil, grease and resins. This is not the same as a product primarily used to break surface water tension (surfactant), which may also enhance the solvent quality of water, but is not itself a solvent.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Sleeprider said, although  when I go after english ivy, I use a little of the grocery house-brand; I've found that all those I've tried work just as well as Dawn.

However, I've just been introduced to an amazing alternative to the big bucks brands: VPG's Yi-Yield Super Concentrate Killzall Weed & Grass Killer. In 5-gallon lots, about 1/3 the (retail) price at my local Ace.  Amazing because: a) it really hurts those english ivys (and I gloat over every withering leaf); and b) it was wet the second day after spraying.  (Even left the leaves a little more shiny than usual after a good rain.)

'Course, you prolly already have your Spectrice or RouindUp, or whatever, but keep the Killzall in mind if/when you buy again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I buy the 2.5 gallon stuff from Tractor Supply.   Both the 41% Glyphosate and the 44% Glyphosate / 1% Imazapyr versions.  The price is 1/3 that of the actual Roundup and has the same chemical specifications..

After Sleeprider's post, I found a gallon of fisheye remover for water based finishes.  It advertises itself as being a super surfactant to eliminate fisheye from silicone contaminants.  It is old and I wouldn't have used it for its intended purpose, so I gave it a try.   It made poison ivy leaves look like a wet rag when I sprayed them.  .  .  We'll see how well it works in about 10-14 days.

Now, I need to teach the ticks that they are suppose to be repelled by Deep Woods Off.  Evidently they didn't get the memo.
Post Reply Post Reply
Shaun, the Killzall uses Glyphosphate 41% and surfactant, so this is a generic Roundup. Good find since it costs about $22 per quart vs $28 to $32 for the name brand. Even cheaper is the Compare n Save Grass and Weed Killer 41% Glyphosate in gallon quantity from Amazon for $22.32. Same dilution, but 25% the final cost for the active ingredient.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board