Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Surge Protector?
Surge Protector?
My DME told me there was a surge protector installed in my ResMed S9 machine. Does anyone know if that is true or not? I can't seem to locate it.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Surge Protector?
There might be one inside. If there is, it's very simple like a capacitor or something.

You've not opened it up to look, have you?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
There may be some sort of protection circuitry in the power brick. Unless you have a circuit diagram, it will probably not be obvious.

However, surge protectors often work by "sacrificing" themselves to take the surge rather than passing the surge along. One it takes too much "surge," it becomes ineffective. That's why most surge protectors have some sort of pilot light you need to check to see you're still getting protection. If the surge protector inside the power brick gets too many surges, it may quit protecting the rest of the power brick.

It's a good idea to have another surge protector where the power brick plugs in. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the "protected" indicator light and check it often.

The power brick probably does a pretty good job of protecting the CPAP machine from surges. External bricks like this are usually pretty tough in terms of surges. If you do get surge damage, it will probably be only in the power brick, which is relatively cheap to replace from online suppliers.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a basic surge protector (which I got at a local department store) that I use for my machine at home and when I travel. It has a blue light on it which tells if it is functioning and also serves as a sort of night light. It also has a couple of USB charging ports which is great for travel. I think I paid all of about $20 for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The S9 spec sheet on Resmed's website doesn't mention an internal surge protector, but I agree with what other's have said here. To be on the safe side, I would recommend that you use an external surge protector.
Post Reply Post Reply
The basic component of a surge protector is a Metal Oxide Varistor (MOV.) They look like a ceramic capacitor. They clamp voltage spikes by changing their resistance when over-volted. There's probably one or two inside the power brick. Still, no harm in adding and extra external one.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm getting an APC surge protector today...
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that a surge protector should be used, especially on this type of equipment.

One word of caution - some people mistake power strips (one plug in, multiple outlets) for surge protectors. It must say surge protector on the box and give the specs on the protection level. They are not all created equal.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you want to spend a little more, you can always get a small UPS especially if you live in an area where the power goes out. It will give you a short battery time (usually 15 - 30 minutes depending on the unit) and it is also a surge protector.
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI ... surge protector recalls due to fire hazard
This recall involves APC 7 and 8 series SurgeArrest surge protectors manufactured before 2003. The model and serial numbers are located on a label on the bottom of the surge protector. The two numbers that follow the first letter or letters in the serial number sequence indicate the year of manufacture. The unit is included in the recall if the numbers are 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 or 02. APC and the words Personal, Professional, Performance or Network are printed on the surge protectors.
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Schn...rotectors/

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surge from ASV makes it difficult to get back to sleep Heartman 9 1,522 08-04-2020, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  BiPAP AutoSV Advanced: dead after power surge johnny340 4 1,710 05-24-2020, 03:36 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  I think a power surge shut off my machine. Nightynite 17 3,726 11-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  [Equipment] UPS / Surge Protector ? JackImari 9 1,434 08-14-2019, 10:04 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Surge Protector DaveL 36 4,706 10-04-2018, 07:41 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  surge protector for cpap? Inspired 19 10,095 02-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Last Post: rhodesengr
  [News] VA, Congress shrug as sleep apnea claims surge ApneaNews 0 2,050 02-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Last Post: ApneaNews

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.