Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Surge Protector
RE: Surge Protector
It might not and probably didn't come through the mains, it was more likely to have come through the data for the TV, lightning loves data cables and telephone cables.  If you get a direct hit with lightning it will go straight through a surge protector.  It will only protect you against static and spikes.
Never risk a surge protector to save the machine or you in a storm if there is lightning.  You will loose in the end.  Trust me, everything will just go to vapour if lightning hits the line you are plugged into and just straight across the surge protector.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's a lightning induced surge, it most likely will come from the mains if utility lines are on power poles and not underground..
Post Reply Post Reply
I was warned quite a few years ago to protect flat panel display TV's, computers, and other expensive devices with a good quality power bar with built in surge protection.  Nobody indicated, certainly not in any published information accompanying the products recommended, that they do anything but clean up surges caused by power switching and synching when the mains come on line or a chunk of it goes off line suddenly.  I was always of the understanding that if you wish to protect expensive electronics during lightning storms, unplug them.

As much as it pains me to admit it at this point, I don't have my unit plugged into a surge protector.  And we do get some thunder storms here, but we get more power outages.  I think I have something I gotta g......
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the save!!!

(a), electric company locals say that low end surge protectors that you buy at the average computer/hardware store need to be replaced every 7-10 years. So mark your surge protector.

(b), get a copy of your script and send it to an online provider who ships overnight. I believe they all can accept Canadian scripts, but you can call them and ask for certain. That way, if your machine fails you, is lost, or zapped, you can get a machine overnighted to your location. Worst case scenario - machine dies Friday evening and you'll have a replacement by Tuesday.

© yes, unplugging is the best protection of all. I leave my sewing machine unplugged unless I'm using it for this reason. I unplug my computer if I know there is going to be lightning - usually there is a major weather alert on my Ipod, so I know it's coming.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2018, 02:58 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Just remember to REPLACE that surge protector.  Once a surge protector takes a hit like that (especially the consumer-grade ones), they are very likely to fail the second time they're needed.  They DO NOT last forever and can only take a protect you a limited number of times - sometimes only once if the surge was strong enough.

Thank you.
I didn't know that.
I shall replace it.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-18-2018, 08:00 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Congrats on the save!!!

(a), electric company locals say that low end surge protectors that you buy at the average computer/hardware store need to be replaced every 7-10 years.  So mark your surge protector.

(b), get a copy of your script and send it to an online provider who ships overnight.  I believe they all can accept Canadian scripts, but you can call them and ask for certain. That way, if your machine fails you, is lost, or zapped, you can get a machine overnighted to your location.  Worst case scenario - machine dies Friday evening and you'll have a replacement by Tuesday.

© yes, unplugging is the best protection of all.  I leave my sewing machine unplugged unless I'm using it for this reason.  I unplug my computer if I know there is going to be lightning - usually there is a major weather alert on my Ipod, so I know it's coming.

Thanks.
I'll try. 
My old sleep doc sold cpap machines through the hospital clinic (owned by the hospital). I couldn't get a script for a machine.
My new sleep doc (2 weeks!) sells machines directly.  Same deal. Rents machines. Rents masks.
I have a DME in Canada that is very, very good.
Buying a machine in Canada, a basic cpap costs me more than an auto pap in the US.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, you are not obligated to buy/rent anything from your good doctor's side business. If he billed OHIP for your visit, it's your right to have a valid prescription in hand and get your CPAP wherever you like.

As you probably read on this forum, there are few real Canadian CPAP suppliers with online presence, where you could get your machines reasonably priced (at par with many US online stores). Some are listed on forum's Supplier List, also you can google "Sleep Yeti", "CPAP monster", "PAP mart", etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I understand.

However, the tv plugged into the same receptacle was toast. It had a satellite or cable signal too. I'm glad I had my surge protector. It was a flea bag hotel in middle of nowhere.  I needed a room.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-19-2018, 06:29 AM)silentsnore Wrote: Dave, you are not obligated to buy/rent anything from your good doctor's side business. If he billed OHIP for your visit, it's your right to have a valid prescription in hand and get your CPAP wherever you like.

As you probably read on this forum, there are few real Canadian CPAP suppliers with online presence, where you could get your machines reasonably priced (at par with many US online stores). Some are listed on forum's Supplier List, also you can google "Sleep Yeti", "CPAP monster", "PAP mart", etc.

Thanks so much!
Amazon has some gear too.
I will buy when I can get a better grade machine. I don't know what's best.  apap or something else?
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
Since you have an S9 Elite, the current upgrade would be to the AirSense 10 Autoset, especially if you are using EPR.

I have found Supplier #32 to have fast shipping and good prices; their front page usually has very good prices on combo packages, better than or close to the ADP regulated prices.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surge from ASV makes it difficult to get back to sleep Heartman 9 1,570 08-04-2020, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  BiPAP AutoSV Advanced: dead after power surge johnny340 4 1,755 05-24-2020, 03:36 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  I think a power surge shut off my machine. Nightynite 17 3,834 11-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  [Equipment] UPS / Surge Protector ? JackImari 9 1,474 08-14-2019, 10:04 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  surge protector for cpap? Inspired 19 10,213 02-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Last Post: rhodesengr
  [News] VA, Congress shrug as sleep apnea claims surge ApneaNews 0 2,077 02-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Last Post: ApneaNews
  Surge Protector? penbate 13 7,073 12-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Last Post: westom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.