Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Surge Protector
RE: Surge Protector
Thank you!
My S9 Elite is set up as a cpap machine
I wish it was an automatic machine

I don't use EPR Should I? I sometimes mouthbreath.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, using EPR can improve comfort and there is no reason not to use it unless you find an increase in AHI with its use. I don't know anything about your therapy efficacy at this point, but I'd encourage you to try it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI is often .3 or less when I use my cushion under my chin. It prevents mouthbreathing. My mouthstraps don't work as well.

Thanks. I'll set EPR up.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all your responses, and for caring and spending the time
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I have all my expensive electronic equipment in my house on APC Battery backup UPS. Including my AirCurve 10 in my bedroom. It has recently saved me twice from not getting any sleep during storms and power outages. I am able to continue to sleep. I just have to turn off the humidifer since that drains the battery too fast, but then it lasts a good 8 hours to get me through the night. The UPS also beeps when power outage happens, so I know to wake up and turn off the humidifer.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks MyronH!

I woke up in the middle of the night in a hotel in Miami. No power. I felt like I was being strangled. CPAP was off of course. Your solution makes great sense. I often travel without my humidifier, because carrying distilled water is difficult; impossible on airlines due to size.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2018, 11:44 AM)DaveL Wrote: I often travel without my humidifier, because carrying distilled water is difficult; impossible on airlines due to size.

I've not figured out how to get sleep without the humidifier - my mouth/throat gets way too dry.  (Although I'm mainly only ever in dry climates.)

I buy Fiji water once I've gotten past security at the airport, and I use that in my humidifier chamber.  (I'm not a die-hard distilled-water-only xPAPer.)
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2018, 10:47 AM)MyronH Wrote: I have all my expensive electronic equipment in my house on APC Battery backup UPS. Including my AirCurve 10 in my bedroom. 

I would really like this, since sometimes I travel to places with inconsistent power.  Which one do you use?  When I look on Amazon, I feel lost.

Also, does it replace the need for a surge protector?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2018, 01:07 PM)Hydrangea Wrote:
(10-01-2018, 10:47 AM)MyronH Wrote: I have all my expensive electronic equipment in my house on APC Battery backup UPS. Including my AirCurve 10 in my bedroom. 

I would really like this, since sometimes I travel to places with inconsistent power.  Which one do you use?  When I look on Amazon, I feel lost.

Also, does it replace the need for a surge protector?

I2nd that which one you using for your CPAP? I have one covering my entertainment system but want to see what you got your cpap on.
Post Reply Post Reply
The external power brick design does quite a bit to isolate the machine from power surges. Both in terms of not damaging the power supply, and if you do get damage from a surge, it's probably only going to damage the brick, not the CPAP blower. The brick is easier to replace than the whole machine.

However, a surge protector is still a good thing, even a cheap one.

Figure out the lights on the surge protector. Many of them have a light that will go off or turn on if a surge damages the protector and it no longer works. Don't put too much faith in the light, but if it indicates a problem, discard the protector.

TV's are especially susceptible to surges. Basically, a surge only hurts if the voltage is on one of the AC conductors and not the other. The machine won't "feel" the voltage if it's on all the AC lines. A surge protector works by limiting the voltage between the wires on the plug, not necessarily by decreasing the absolute voltage.

However, for a TV, there is not only the AC power, there is the TV cable. If you get a difference in the voltage between the TV cable and the power cable, that will damage the TV. A surge protector may not help the TV unless both the TV cable and the power feed through the same surge protector.

One more hint. If there are storms in the area and you're not using your CPAP, flip the power switch on the surge protector. Not as good as unplugging, but it helps some. Even better would be to unplug from the AC power altogether.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surge from ASV makes it difficult to get back to sleep Heartman 9 1,520 08-04-2020, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  BiPAP AutoSV Advanced: dead after power surge johnny340 4 1,710 05-24-2020, 03:36 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  I think a power surge shut off my machine. Nightynite 17 3,725 11-03-2019, 07:31 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  [Equipment] UPS / Surge Protector ? JackImari 9 1,433 08-14-2019, 10:04 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  surge protector for cpap? Inspired 19 10,095 02-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Last Post: rhodesengr
  [News] VA, Congress shrug as sleep apnea claims surge ApneaNews 0 2,050 02-26-2014, 10:11 AM
Last Post: ApneaNews
  Surge Protector? penbate 13 7,022 12-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Last Post: westom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.