Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation
I was awake during the procedure, and the most irritating thing was the brilliant light used for the procedure. With numbing drops, there was minimal sensation, and no pain. I did not require any recovery time.

My vision was pretty good, even in recovery. I recall being able to see a large clock over 30 feet away and being able to tell the time. On the following day, I had my follow-up exam and was told I wont require glasses to drive. After my appointment, I went on a several hundred mile motorcycle ride to Punxsutawney. I missed the Groundhog day celebration, but celebrated my good vision and good health anyway. Vision is clearer with better color saturation and fewer artifacts like ghost images caused by the cataract.

If you have cataracts, get this routine procedure done sooner than later. It's painless and I think recovery is always easier when you're younger.

02-03-2016 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SA 2-15-14 Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage SoftGel
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(02-01-2016 10:01 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  I had a procedure done today to remove the cataract from my left eye and replace the lens. I showed up at 9:30 AM at the surgery center and went through all the prep and met the anesthesiologist. Due to my OA, he said I would not be given as much anesthesia and would be awake through the procedure. No big deal.

I had minor discomfort and was alert, but relaxed enough to tolerate the lens implant and was taken to recovery on completion. As I was sucking up some orange juice, I noticed the poor lady on my right was having apnea after apnea and snoring and having some big recovery breaths. It's not life threatening, but it took her a long time to awaken, while I was in and out. If you're having a significant procedure, I guess the lesson is, take the machine. For the small stuff, don't worry about it. I still might take it along, just in case, for the second eye. Who knows, maybe I'd get better drugs. Didn't need or want it this time, but I got some good use today in my "sleep it off" nap.

A local anaesthetic and a mild tranquilizer was all they used for both of my Cataract Surgeries (June & August 2015).

There was an anesthesiologist at both surgeries & he was told by me of my Sleep Apnea & replied that I would NOT need my APAP.
In fact, they did not take me to a "Recovery Room", but rather took me back to a regular room for only 45 minutes to make sure everything went OK.
02-03-2016 05:48 PM
eseedhouse Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

A day or so after surgery on the first eye, I suddenly noticed how colourful the world was. I was seeing the world in pastels before the surgery and in full colour after it.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
02-03-2016 07:12 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Online
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

(02-03-2016 07:12 PM)eseedhouse Wrote:  A day or so after surgery on the first eye, I suddenly noticed how colourful the world was. I was seeing the world in pastels before the surgery and in full colour after it.

That's where I'm at today. I just had the first eye done, and it was the one with the thickest cataract and poorest vision. Now i'm adjusting to the brighter clearer vision in that eye, and I realize how bad the vision is in the other one.

I was outside tonight and with the treated eye, I can see streetlamps, light and watched a pass of the ISS clearly. The untreated eye, I see blobs of light, and can't even make out Orion's Belt in the constellation. Amazing difference!

02-03-2016 07:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Maxillomandibular advancement surgery AMA mrkdilkington 0 111 11-29-2016 04:07 PM
Last Post: mrkdilkington
  Question for those who had MMA Surgery - Feeling Hopeless voiddweller 7 320 10-30-2016 02:56 AM
Last Post: 49er
  Sleep Apnea Surgery zeeser 5 589 10-26-2016 02:42 PM
Last Post: Kadenz
  [Health] No CPAP During Sinus Surgery Recovery Sleepster 20 1,551 09-21-2016 07:02 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Is it okay to decrease cpap pressure after nose surgery? kowlooner 8 573 09-13-2016 11:33 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
Question [CPAP] Upcoming endoscopic surgery and CPAP Wrz77 2 287 09-08-2016 08:28 PM
Last Post: Mike1953
  Should I bring CPAC to minor surgery R_W_B 17 787 09-07-2016 10:55 PM
Last Post: Maskup Sleepwell