Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation
RE: Surgery Anesthesia and Sedation
I was awake during the procedure, and the most irritating thing was the brilliant light used for the procedure. With numbing drops, there was minimal sensation, and no pain. I did not require any recovery time.

My vision was pretty good, even in recovery. I recall being able to see a large clock over 30 feet away and being able to tell the time. On the following day, I had my follow-up exam and was told I wont require glasses to drive. After my appointment, I went on a several hundred mile motorcycle ride to Punxsutawney. I missed the Groundhog day celebration, but celebrated my good vision and good health anyway. Vision is clearer with better color saturation and fewer artifacts like ghost images caused by the cataract.

If you have cataracts, get this routine procedure done sooner than later. It's painless and I think recovery is always easier when you're younger.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2016, 10:01 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I had a procedure done today to remove the cataract from my left eye and replace the lens. I showed up at 9:30 AM at the surgery center and went through all the prep and met the anesthesiologist. Due to my OA, he said I would not be given as much anesthesia and would be awake through the procedure. No big deal.

I had minor discomfort and was alert, but relaxed enough to tolerate the lens implant and was taken to recovery on completion. As I was sucking up some orange juice, I noticed the poor lady on my right was having apnea after apnea and snoring and having some big recovery breaths. It's not life threatening, but it took her a long time to awaken, while I was in and out. If you're having a significant procedure, I guess the lesson is, take the machine. For the small stuff, don't worry about it. I still might take it along, just in case, for the second eye. Who knows, maybe I'd get better drugs. Didn't need or want it this time, but I got some good use today in my "sleep it off" nap.

A local anaesthetic and a mild tranquilizer was all they used for both of my Cataract Surgeries (June & August 2015).

There was an anesthesiologist at both surgeries & he was told by me of my Sleep Apnea & replied that I would NOT need my APAP.
In fact, they did not take me to a "Recovery Room", but rather took me back to a regular room for only 45 minutes to make sure everything went OK.
Post Reply Post Reply
A day or so after surgery on the first eye, I suddenly noticed how colourful the world was. I was seeing the world in pastels before the surgery and in full colour after it.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2016, 07:12 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: A day or so after surgery on the first eye, I suddenly noticed how colourful the world was. I was seeing the world in pastels before the surgery and in full colour after it.

That's where I'm at today. I just had the first eye done, and it was the one with the thickest cataract and poorest vision. Now i'm adjusting to the brighter clearer vision in that eye, and I realize how bad the vision is in the other one.

I was outside tonight and with the treated eye, I can see streetlamps, light and watched a pass of the ISS clearly. The untreated eye, I see blobs of light, and can't even make out Orion's Belt in the constellation. Amazing difference!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 253 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,952 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,363 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 420 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP surgery Jen0628jen 3 598 11-02-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.