Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice on Mask issues
Advice on Mask issues
I need your advice.

I have had my machine nearly a year. Here are my issues:

I'm a side sleeper.
I have tried the Amara View when deciding which mask to go with, but I had limited success with it. I kept waking up in the night, so I must have been moving around too much. Instead, I chose the Dreamwear mask.
Lately, I am told I have lots of leaks.
For the last two weeks, I have tried a collar (note: chin straps produce really horrid TMJ problems, so please don't even go there).
Even so, I still have leaks.
Suggestion from my CPAP store: maybe my mask and hose need changing (note: I have an extra of both that were purchased last year).

Any suggestions? Is it how I am wearing my mask? Should I switch to a P10? I really don't know what to do. Do any of you have a similar experience?

On the upside, even with the leaks, my AHI is under 5, and I sleep very soundly.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Advice on Mask issues
Cushions on masks do wear out and need to be replaced, I replace mine every three months. Facial oil on the sealing surface can affect the seal, wipe it down daily. Everybody's face is different you have to find the mask that fits you best. Head gear loses elasticity over time I replace mine every six months and its pretty well shot at that point, I also move around a lot when I sleep.If you want the most effective help here you will need to post data. The daily charts from [url=https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] would show how bad your leaks are, this is the software that people on the forum are used to working with, it provides a wealth of information about your treatment. There is a guide to useing it here. Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead. Reports from other software would be ok if that is what you are using already. There are a couple of guides on how to post and organize your charts here. Posting an Image in 5 Easy Steps       Organize your SleepyHead Charts. If you need more help with any aspect of posting data don't hesitate to ask.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you are having issues with a mask find the manufactures video on fitting it, read the manufactures instructions.  And then there is the Mask Primer which includes info on fitting a mask and some leak tips.

And as said above, post your daily sleepyhead data.  That can say a lot about what is going on.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a pillow made for cpap users. Works great. Has cut outs so that your head is on the pillow and your mask is in the cut out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use the DreamWear mask and I really like it. Sometimes I can feel tiny leaks even though my CPAP machine doesn't detect them. My CPAP machine has a "Run Mask Fit" feature built in--yours may too. It simply puts you at the maximum pressure so you can check for leaks. For me, the most common leak shoots cold air up the side of my nose. It almost feels like a cold drop of water moving up my nose. It's subtle but it's enough to wake me when it happens.

I hope this helps! :-)

Jeremy
Post Reply Post Reply
Try to get the new Dreamwear gel nasal pillows to go with the Dreamwear mask. Your leaks should go down.... provided you don't mouth breath a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 184 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 173 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 527 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,535 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 231 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 328 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 464 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.