Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Surgery Issues
Surgery Issues
Hi all

I had surgery 6 months ago and first 2 months after healing I felt great. Now I feel as bad as before UPPP and Nasalplasty. 

I think my surgery was botched but wanted to see what others think. 

My back of throats always feels like their is some foreign thing there. Not sure if scabs or something else. My Apple Watch and AutoSleep app shows I get 0 deep sleep. I see only 30% quality typically. My friend with same Watch and app sees good stats so I think the tech works somewhat reasonably. 

My throat is always very dry. Even with humidifier and diffuser going. Night time when going to bed is the worst. Like sand paper in throat. 

When I eat or drink I get food up nose or in windpipe constantly. 

I don't have a CPAP yet. Waiting for follow up in 3 weeks

Any ideas what might be wrong and perhaps advice on what to do to improve my situation or even tell doctor when I see him next. 

Btw pre-op sleep study showed I stop breathing 89 times per hour on average. I also have a deformed raised palate that makes my nose basically unusable to breath. Like little straws. So I am a 100% of the time mouth breather 

Thx!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Surgery Issues
We frequently see people that get surgeries similar to yours find that it does not eliminate Sleep Apnea and they require some form of CPAP therapy.   I'm not second guessing your Doctor or your choice/need to have the surgery.  
There are products (Biotene) and others that can help with dryness.  You might look at sleeping near a humidifier as well.

Regarding your (likely) apnea, Please read the links in my signature to prepare.  You will need to try on masks while lying down and under pressure..  Take advantage of any sleep study you do to try several masks on as well as trips to your DME.

You will want a machine with full data capability (the links talk about this as well).  Get the model number and full name and ask here to be sure.

Sleep-well

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Surgery Issues
(08-02-2017, 08:54 PM)compucoder Wrote: Hi all

I had surgery 6 months ago and first 2 months after healing I felt great. Now I feel as bad as before UPPP and Nasalplasty. 

I think my surgery was botched but wanted to see what others think. 

My back of throats always feels like their is some foreign thing there. Not sure if scabs or something else. My Apple Watch and AutoSleep app shows I get 0 deep sleep. I see only 30% quality typically. My friend with same Watch and app sees good stats so I think the tech works somewhat reasonably. 

My throat is always very dry. Even with humidifier and diffuser going. Night time when going to bed is the worst. Like sand paper in throat. 

When I eat or drink I get food up nose or in windpipe constantly. 

I don't have a CPAP yet. Waiting for follow up in 3 weeks

Any ideas what might be wrong and perhaps advice on what to do to improve my situation or even tell doctor when I see him next. 

Btw pre-op sleep study showed I stop breathing 89 times per hour on average. I also have a deformed raised palate that makes my nose basically unusable to breath. Like little straws. So I am a 100% of the time mouth breather 

Thx!

2 things I recommend (note, I'm not a doctor):
1) Find an ENT highly specialized in sleep surgery who can do a sleep endoscopy. Basically they'd stick a camera down your nose/throat while you're in a drug induced sleep state, to see what's happening. Then, they can tailor a surgical plan for you based on the results. Ideally you'd want to visit Stanford University, assuming it's possible for your situation. You could also try getting a referral for someone closer to you.
2) Get your high-arched palate checked out by an orthodontist and a jaw surgeon. Maxillary expansion or other skeletal jaw procedures may help you nasal breathe and sleep better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 0 7 18 minutes ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 10 206 1 hour ago
Last Post: Luka07
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 54 Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 157 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,224 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.