Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Surgery Options for OSA patients
Surgery Options for OSA patients
Dear members,

As a newcomer in this Apnea Board Forum and using a CPAP since April 2016 I am currently considering possible surgery options mainly to alleviate with my chronic rhinitis and sinus problems as I suffer from deviated nasal septum and hypertrophy of turbinates and help me with my moderate sleep apnea problem. I would appreciate any comments or feedbacks regarding any members that might have had septoplasty/rhinoplasty/turbinoplasty and might have been reasonably succesful to reduce the number of AHI or even in combination with a considerable weight loss might have been able to stop using the CPAP. I would also appreciate any comments from any OSA users who might had some type of pharingoplasty surgery. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Surgery Options for OSA patients
Yes do both, they are minor surgeries and you'll finally be able to breathe.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had septoplasty and turbinoplasty.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  The recovery took a couple of weeks, but the results have been worth it.

I don't think it reduced my AHI and I am certainly still using my CPAP. What changed?  I no longer have to use Breathe Right strips with a full-face mask.  CPAP is generally more comfortable.  And I breathe so much better in the day time.  

If  you do it, take your machine.  You may want it in the post op recovery, the anaesthetics can depress breathing.  I had a nurse sitting beside me saying "breathe, breathe, breathe" as the oxygen monitor alarm sounded.  She seemed kinda annoyed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Crowtor,

Thanks for your reply. When you say both you include the pharingoplasty? or just septoplasty and turbinoplasty? Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chill,

Thanks so much for your feedback. It sounds as if this surgery has been quite helpful to you overall. Did you suffer from chronic rhinitis or sinusitis?

Best regards,
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2018, 12:37 AM)cotrina Wrote: Hello Crowtor,

Thanks for your reply. When you say both you include the pharingoplasty? or just septoplasty and turbinoplasty? Thanks

I mean septoplasty and turbinoplasty, if you want UPPP then do it at least 6 month after you do your nose. Unfortunately it is highly unlikely you wont need your CPAP after all the surgeries. If you want to get off CPAP your only chance of doing is the Inspire2 pacemaker. But a good nose breathing is a prerequisite for the Inspire2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again Crowtor,

Excuse my ignorance. What is the Inspire2 Pacemaker? Nevwr heard of it.

Cheers,

Cotrina
Post Reply Post Reply
Lot's of ads about the Inspire around here.

It seems like an option to reduce apneas for those with mild to moderate apnea who do not tolerate a CPAP system.  A version of CPAP is still the gold standard for treatment but inspire electrically stimulates some muscles to open the airway.  Most of those in the study group still had some apneas after the surgery (about 25% but that is a significant reduction)  Search the form for inspire and you should see a number of threads of discussion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Bonjour. I always thought it was the "Hypoglossal Nerve Stimulation'' .  I guess that is one of the commercial names. The only thing is when I happened to check where it could be implanted and all that it was very very expensive, not sure if it is still the case.

Regards,
Post Reply Post Reply
I have septoplasty, turbinoplasty, and Uvula reduction scheduled in October. My ENT mentioned the Inspire device but I'd rather not have an implant. Besides, it isn't a permanent fix, just a temporary workaround for apnea issues. So I'm going for the nasal surgery first. Then may consider base of tongue reduction and have my tonsils taken out. I had a DISE procedure and my ENT said my tongue was my major obstruction. But the ENT wants to first fix my nose to breathe better.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 211 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 37 2,218 04-15-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 8 255 04-02-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,414 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 234 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 309 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 753 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.