Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Surgery?
Surgery?
A few years back in the UK,  I had thyroid surgery, unrelated to my sleep apnea.  The ENT surgery told me he could cure my sleep apnea with drudgery.  I decided against it.  Now my son is being checked out for sleep apnea (I think he has it) and he is interested in surgery.

Does anyone know of surgical remedies for OSA  and how effective they are?

TIA,

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Surgery?
well! if you ask me i would go against any kind of surgery for sleep apnea, as any kind of surgery can pose health risk, cpap therapy is a good and painless option, take this from a guy who nearly died due to sleep apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
There is the Inspire implant. It is similar to a pacemaker (sort of). It stimulates your tongue so it sticks out to stop the apnea. I may be pursuing that myself, I doubt I can learn to fall asleep with a CPAP or dental device. I am concerned about the scars from the surgery and that electric shocks that stimulate the tongue may wake me up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the UP3 surgery a number of years ago. The surgery was terrible, ended up with toxic shock, etc etc,

Anyway it helped some but apnea was still bad enough to technically need a CPAP machine (which I refused to do). My doctors kept saying if I lost 20-30 pounds it would go away.

Years later due to a medical issue I ended up losing 60+ pounds. Sleep test showed apnea score still up in the 60’s.

Finally got a CPAP machine. Wish I had done that years ago. Oh well…
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2022, 10:46 AM)Reptile Wrote: Does anyone know of surgical remedies for OSA  and how effective they are?

Well, I can tell you that they are ineffective enough that they are considered alternatives for people who can't tolerate CPAP. Your best best bet is to just put your son on CPAP.

By the way, what's drudgery and how was it supposed to be able to cure you?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Read through this thread before a decision is made:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-denies-me

Especially take note of post #3, made originally made by forum member ConnCarl.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the warning, but I can’t physically fall asleep using the CPAP machine, so it’s not a solution for me at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 4 59 6 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 255 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,955 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 708 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,364 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 420 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.