Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Surgically Implanted Gizmos
Surgically Implanted Gizmos
Seems kinda radical, but the FDA has approved a couple of chest-implanted boxes to treat apneas, removing the need for bedside machines and facemasks. I was wondering if anyone on here has tried this, or knows someone who has?

For OSA: https://www.inspiresleep.com/

for CSA: https://www.respicardia.com/remede-system/
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Surgically Implanted Gizmos
Woah... interesting.  

Reminds me of an idea I once had, about implanting some magnets into the soft tissue, then right before bedtime, wear a collar with matching magnets to help pull the airways open...
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't personally know anyone but there's been a few people on Reddit that said they got the Inspire implant. One regretted it and the other 2 or 3 had positive experiences.
Post Reply Post Reply
Inspire has been around for years now, so have diaphragm pacemakers, is this deja vu?
Post Reply Post Reply
personally i would want to avoid implants if there are other options that work.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2019, 04:55 PM)buggy285 Wrote: personally i would want to avoid implants if there are other options that work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the inspire device.  I got it in June.  I was unable to get the mask to work for me.  I kept taking it off while I slept.  I has helped me.  It is a gradual process to get the intensity correct.  It starts at a base setting that they set at your first appointment.  You have control to increase the intensity every few days to whatever level does not wake you.  I have made good progress.  I think finding ways to avoid nasal congestion has been the biggest thing for me.  I monitor my snoring with an app call SnoreLab.  It records audio while you sleep.  It is amazing how it changes once the device kicks in.  the device gives you 30 minutes (configurable) to fall asleep.  I like the inspire device.   It will be a bit of a battle to get it approved.  It took about 5 months and three attempts to get it approved by my insurance.  It is an expensive surgery so expect them to decline as their first reaction.
Post Reply Post Reply
There's a bit of a conundrum here - the Inspire device seems to work reasonably well for OSA patients and the Remede works very well for CSA patients. But very few people have CSA in isolation, and it appears the Remede does little or nothing for OSA.

The results of both devices indicate to me that while the majority of patients received some benefit, in many cases their apnea was not reduced to the clinically "normal" range of AHI < 5.0.

I can't say that I love my ASV, but I'd take a LOT of convincing to give it up and go for this type of invasive procedure with its attendant risks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not a big fan of having things implanted in my body.  Oh-jeez

I'm 65 now and it ain't gonna happen anytime soon........short of a life & death situation.  Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Equipment] What are the strengths + weaknesses of Surgically Masking over CPAP devices' air inle StackExchange 2 613 02-27-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.