Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Survey on Nose pillows/nose cup?
Survey on Nose pillows/nose cup?
I am finally having success with my ResMed P10 nose pillows. The only problem is they irritate the inside of my nose and I often have to remove them after about 6- 7 hours. I have a friend who swears by his Resperonics equivalent ... sorry but I don't know the name. They don't seem to go as deep into the nose and seem to have a larger cushion area.

Just wondering who has used each and what their experience has been. Also have they had better success with the cup that just goes over the nose?
CPAP isn't so bad if you don't mind wearing a catchers mask and sleeping with a garden hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Survey on Nose pillows/nose cup?
There are several masks that have a cup version for their pillows. I've used them when my nostrils were tender due to a cold or, once, when I got hit hard in the nose and couldn't use the pillows. I found the cups comfortable but leaky. The fit is hit or miss, really. If the mask has different size cups, give it a try.

I'm not sure what mask you mean. I think the ComfortLite Respironics mask used to have the cup option. Not sure if they offer that any more. The Breeze did as well. The only other mask that truly compares to the P10 is the Nuance. I think it is better because it has a usable headgear, has a swivel on the hose, and it doesn't go inside the nostrils, but sits on the outside. It is one of the best masks I have used.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Search for my (HerbM) various posts on the methods for reducing or correcting nose irritation from P10 (or any) masks.

Keywords that would be useful: lanolin Airfit P10
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
What size pillows are you using? If small or medium, moving up a size might solve your problem. If already using a large, then maybe a smaller nose might help.
Post Reply Post Reply
And if not lanolin, then I would suggest a chamois cream (yeah, the stuff cyclists use "down there" to prevent and heal chafing).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband has the same machine, same pillows, same problem. Nothing seemed to work. We tried different pillow sizes, ointments including lanolin and lubricants, and different techniques for placing the pillows. Finally I saw a tip here about more humidity solving that particular problem. And it did.

We have his climate control on auto, but upped the humidity by a degree every 2 nights until it stopped being sore. Beginning humidity was 70, now ending is at 78, here in Montreal during the fall. Maybe that will work for you, too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2014, 06:37 PM)retired_guy Wrote: What size pillows are you using? If small or medium, moving up a size might solve your problem. If already using a large, then maybe a smaller nose might help.

I have tried the smaller then the larger size pillows. The medium has been the best. I wish the P10 didn't go up inside the nose quite so much. That seems to be the problem. But, that being said I am finally getting GOOD night's sleep. The nose pillows have been the solution. Now I will try the lanolin and humidity level to get a solution. Thanks all!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2014, 03:31 PM)CasitaWayne Wrote: I wish the P10 didn't go up inside the nose quite so much. That seems to be the problem.

I tried the P10s, but they seemed too rigid and far up my nose. Then I switched to the Swift FX pillows for her. The pillows are really nice, more squooshy and flattened. I wear the extra small size although I'm average size on the whole. I love the pillows and the fully adjusting head gear, but the harsher venting can be a problem. Now that my pressures are lower (under 10) the venting is easier.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,758 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,969 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.