Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suspect New AirSense 10 Machine making wife sick
Suspect New AirSense 10 Machine making wife sick
Husband of the CPAP user here...
I see a ton of posts on the internet about CPAP and new plastic smells. I also see a lot of advice about how to improve or remedy the smells. However, my wife started in with cold-like symptoms within a few days of starting on a new AirSense 10 CPAP machine. Yes, the new plastic smell was unbearable at first, but have since gotten better. However, she also started in with what we though was a winter cold the same week she started the new machine, chest pains, cronic coughing, but little congestion. After 3 rounds of antibiotics, numerous over-the counter meds, a life time of Mucus Relief med, over 90 days have past and she's no better. X-rays show no issue with chest/lungs.
I think it's the new machine and trying to convince her to go back to the old machine long enough to prove me wrong (it still works fine, just had to get a new machine due to our new insurance wanting a "trackable data collecting machine").

So, has anyone else experienced cold like symptoms hat were proven to be caused by a new machine, its plastics, or whatever cause?

Thanks in advance,
Hubby

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suspect New AirSense 10 Machine making wife sick
Well, I experienced that "new CPAP smell" for a couple of days, but nothing bothersome and it went away in a few days.

You need to specify exactly what model you are using because what you have given us actually applies to several models.

The smell could be coming from the hose. You might try swapping that out if your DME supplier will accomidate you.

Starting CPAP therapy on a new machine with a cold might be a bad idea. Perhaps it's better to wait until the cold is gone and then start again?

It certainly makes sense to me to go back to her old machine for awhile and see if that helps.

I am NOT a doctor so please do not consider this as medical advice. Just some thoughts from a fellow sufferer.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Ed. We tried she old mask and hose which fit it just fine, but made no difference. I'm still concerned about the heated reservour.

John -N4NB. FM07
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2015, 01:52 PM)PotatoChipKid Wrote: Thanks, Ed. We tried she old mask and hose which fit it just fine, but made no difference. I'm still concerned about the heated reservour.

Well, we still don't know the exact model of the machine in question. Mine is the airsense 10 "auto". With that machine you can turn down the temperature of the air in the hose and you can even turn the humidifier right off. If yours is the same you might try playing with those settings.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are worried about the fumes, try washing the removable parts in a vinegar solution and dry thoroughly...
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey PTK, sorry Mrs. Kid is having a difficult time.

It's been 90 days so I would think that is way long enough for any original "newness" issues to have worn off. But our bodies are tricky things. If she "coincidentally" got a bad respiratory cold at the same time she started the new machine, her body might be thinking "hmmm... Machine? Yep. Feel bad."

I think it's probably a good idea to go back to the old machine for a little while. Let's get her cute little body to thinking "cpap good, feel bad not so good." It'll take a few days before she does better perhaps, but once she is better I believe she'll be able to more successfully make the transition to the new machine.

The other thing I notice is you're quoting a pressure of 5? Is that her pressure? Was it 5 on the old machine? That seems pretty low to me, but one thing at a time. First, no more sniffles, then go past that.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PotatoChipKid,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Your wife should go back to her old machine 'til she gets over her cold. Then hopefully, she can go back to using her new machine when she gets to feeling better.
Hang in there for more suggestions and I wish your wife much success as she continues her CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear Mr PotatoChipKid,
I am wondering if the setting on her machine has the humidity at too high a level for your dear wife's comfort. Too much humidity getting pushed in could irritate her lungs. I had to crank down to half what my DME set up to make it tolerable. My lungs were tickled and irritated before I did that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps the AirSense 10 CPAP needs to be in a Faraday cage since it is in the near field of your antennas.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2015, 01:01 PM)justMongo Wrote: Perhaps the AirSense 10 CPAP needs to be in a Faraday cage since it is in the near field of your antennas.

@justMongo... I spun the darn thing at the OATS, checked it for emissions to the 10th harmonic of the highest fundamental, passed an AC line conducted test, and shot a couple KW at it in the EMI chamber...all it did was blew air at me! LOL

...Update, doc medicated the wife again today and said if that doesn't work, to go back to the old machine for a week to rule out the new machine. Thanks everyone for the ideas. BTW, Ed, it's an AirSense10 Auto...has auto everything including humidity. The other difference the supplier pointed out was that her old machine was an auto variable pressure unit capable of changing pressure to her needs, it was set to a range of 5 to 7...this new machine is a fixed pressure, I assume at 5 but not sure now. yes, 5 is low, but she has weak lung/chest muscles due to fybromalgia issues and can't push back on the machine when she gets a really bad cold so hence the low pressure..

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 585 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 827 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,495 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 583 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 172 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 285 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.