Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Suspected UARS - new to CPAP and OSCAR. Help?
RE: Suspected UARS - new to CPAP and OSCAR. Help?
On your Feb 2 chart, we saw your closeup of 6 minutes near 10:52pm. Given the waveform and the intensity of it, I can think of only 1 scenario. You were asleep and in REM sleep.
1. waveforms are mostly sinusoidal, meaning breathing in right after breathing out with no gap. This means you have awake brain breathing. This occurs if you are awake, or if you are in REM sleep.
2. the variability of respiration rate is classic of REM sleep, where wide variations do occur in respiratory controls. This sort of breathing is hard to spoof while actually awake.
3. generally the tidal volume will reduce 15-25% during REM versus non-REM sleep.

Absolutely nothing to worry about and nothing to attempt to eliminate.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Suspected UARS - new to CPAP and OSCAR. Help?
Hi folks,

I'm back with a few more questions. I just had my home sleep study, and I barely slept. I think maybe from 11pm-1am? The rest I was awake or in very poor quality sleep, waking every 30 minutes or so. The result came back with 0 AHI, which I find to be...questionable...based on the AHI I get when using the CPAP. 

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could take a look at the o2 saturation chart combined with heart rate and tell me if what I think I'm seeing appears to be true--it looks to me like there are big desaturations around 23:45, :20, 1:00, 2:15, 2:30, 3:45, 4:00, 4:30, 4:45, 5:30? They aren't flagged as such, so it could be something else (or nothing). I have attached a screenshot of the last page of the study with the graphs. I just was curious because there are corresponding heart rate spikes (100+) that line up with each perceived o2 drop. I'll ask my doc about it if y'all think it's worth checking on! I don't want her to think I'm a hypochondriac or something. 

My doc said that false negatives are common with home sleep tests, so we've got me scheduled for an in-lab study in July.

Attached Files
.pdf   cropped-Vanderbilt SS 4.20.23.pdf (Size: 219.99 KB / Downloads: 2)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 913 2 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 152 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 56 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 615 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  New to CPAP, need help with analyze OSCAR tomakl 2 116 03-24-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: tomakl
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 193 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.