Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Swallowing air an taping mouth
Swallowing air an taping mouth
So I have a problem with swallowing air when using my asv machine. I have lowered pressures because  it causes this ill effect. I have noticed I have less air swallowing and obstructive events when I breath thru my nose. In order to accomplish this I have been using the wood knows mouth strips. They work well but seal the mouth up. I've heard /read several users say this is bad , I guess if the nose got plugged u couldn't breath. Where's the middle ground.? No chin straps have have worked for me. does any one else seal their  mouth up  in desperation?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Swallowing air an taping mouth
Read the Mouth Breathing section of the Mask Primer.  Many suggestions there.

post your daily charts (SleepyHead).  That may suggest other methods.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
If they work for you go ahead and use them. I looked at them on Amazon and I don't think you'd have a problem getting them off if you had to.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2018, 08:22 PM)Justbreath Wrote: ... I've heard /read several users say this is bad , I guess if the nose got plugged u couldn't breath. Where's the middle ground.? No chin straps have have worked for me. does any one else seal their  mouth up  in desperation?

Which is worse, do you think....dying from heart failure or brain rot caused by apnea, or taping over your mouth in order to get some sleep?  Dont-know

I found out within three minutes of my first session starting that I was in trouble unless I could keep my mouth closed as I slipped into sleep.  Taping or a chin strap were my options, apart from a full-faced mask, and I chose the former because the tape would both keep my jaw from sagging so much and seal my lips.  To this day, this is how I sleep...and sleep I do...soundly.

I would be less than honest if I didn't admit that I did startle awake and have to rip off the tape once.  In three months of therapy, this happened only once so far, about two weeks ago.  Both nostrils' inner linings swelled shut for some reason, about ten minutes prior to my usual waking time, and I awoke to find myself needing to breath, but quite unable.  I dealt with the problem quickly.  I don't recall being in a panic and finding my heart pounding after restoring my breathing.  It hasn't repeated.  I expect it to happen again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tape my mouth shut AND I sleep with my head propped up on a slant with a taller set of pillows to help keep from swallowing air. I have the chronic bronchitis form of COPD, and I can even cough with my mouth taped shut! I put a folded over tab on one end of the tape, so if I ever have to, I can easily grab it and rip it off.

Taping has not been any problem, and it makes all the difference on stopping mouth leaks and Aerophagia. I've tried a soft cervical collar at times, but I've had surgery on my cervical spine (3 are pinned) and it tends to cause a stiff neck in the morning for me. So tape it is...
Post Reply Post Reply
Without question Taping is controversial.  Keep in mind the goal is to stop mouth leaks, to seal the lips, not to keep the jaw shut.  The jaw is a very, very strong muscle since we use it all the time.  Test your tape and make sure you can easily remove it, I could simply by opening your mouth.  And if you cannot breath the normal response is to wake-up and breath.

I used to use tape every night, finally I didn't need it.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2018, 07:23 AM)bonjour Wrote: ...
I used to use tape every night

Was that before you grew that weed patch on your face? I haven't tried tape a$$uming that there was no way I could get a seal with the thatch around my mouth. (Mine may not be as pretty, and not quite as long, but my beard is much like yours and my mustache is very coarse and thick.)
Post Reply Post Reply
The strips I buy r on amazon, they work well. So last night pretty much sucked. I have tried everything, c-collar,nose only breathing, full face mask, raised bed..lowered pressure , raise pressure. One thing is pretty simple lower pressure less air swallowed. I guess my air way is just so blocked the air takes a path of least resistance. Going to see my dr today, he already had told me I was messed up, he recommended uppp an jaw advancing. They scoped me when I had a drug induced endoscopy when I had my septum fixed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes during the day I feel like I'm choking ! If I have any mucous in my throat it makes it worse and I have to try to cough stuff up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2018, 11:12 AM)Justbreath Wrote: The strips I buy r on amazon, they work well. So last night pretty much sucked. I have tried everything, c-collar,nose only breathing, full face mask, raised bed..lowered pressure , raise pressure. One thing is pretty simple lower pressure less air swallowed. I guess my air way is just so blocked the air takes a path of least resistance. Going to see my dr today, he already had told me I was messed up, he recommended uppp an jaw advancing. They scoped me when I had a drug induced endoscopy when I had my septum fixed.

I've had Turbinate reduction, a Septoplasty, and a UPPP surgery. Still didn't cure my need for cpap, though it did allow me to actually tolerate it. I will NOT ever have the Mandibular Advancement, unless it was absolute life or death. That's very serious surgery, and not typically warranted by the average person that just has plain apnea issues.

I knew a person that had all of that including the Mandibular Advancement all at once, and he died in the ICU because of it. Too much work, too fast, and they didn't watch him close enough during the ICU time after surgery. Granted, that was a very long time ago, but still, even the thought of that particular surgery scares the Hell out of me...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 110 04-17-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 111 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 11 813 04-02-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 635 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 199 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 363 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,254 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.