Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Swapped from System One Auto to S9
Swapped from System One Auto to S9
I am very new too the cpap world would never have thought Id need it I dont have any known health problems other than this 37 years old mabye 15 pounds over wieght. Originally I went to a RT and he figured I had sleep apnea I think 20 or so events an hour. He sent me home with a S9 and mirage FX mask. After one week, I am pretty sure the settings where probably wide open he suggested I see a DR. and get a level one sleep test becasue I had a increase of central apnea. I did that and the DR. told me the CA wasnt accurate and that the machine was most likely false information. He suggested a setting of 6-12 auto or could try 8 constant. When I left there I was directed to another RT and recieved a System One auto A-flex with mirage activa LT mask. After a few days 6-12 auto average AHI was 16.4 aver 90% press 11.2. CA 7.7 and OA 5.5. The RT now suggested changing to constant 8. After few nights AHI went up to 24.1 of course 90% 7.9 and CA 6.7 and OA 5.9 hypopnea now 11.6 from 3.2. Sorry for long story anyways for the last night we set machine back on auto 7-12
up one number from starting 6-12, that night AHI was 11.4 CA 5.1 and OA 2.7 hypopnea 3.6 with 90% pressure 10.7. Back to RT and he suggested I get back in touch with DR. I guess he doesnt want to play with numbers anymore on CPAP. I went back to the original RT and got my S9 and set it up for 7-12 auto and this morning it shows AHI of 62.2 apnea 0.0, obstructive 1.73,clear airway 60.34. This is first time of using sleepyhead with S9 and looking at my own data at home these CA events lasted like 45 minutes at times so is it mask related mabye? leakes 95% was 7.5. If anybody took time to read this and could offer any advice id appreciate it thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Swapped from System One Auto to S9
Yikes! Yeah, if your CA's are 45 minutes...that's pretty much got to be leakage - you'd be unconscious or dead if you stopped breathing that long. :-)

Your leak 95% doesn't really show enough leakage to have caused that, though, so it's hard to say. I'd think that to show you a 45 minute stretch of CA your leak rate would be much higher. The s9 will compensate for leaks up to about 24, automatically.

Are you sure you're reading the chart right, and it's 45 minutes, not seconds?

All that said, looks to me like you very definitely want to get your second sleep study - in that one, they'll put you on a CPAP machine and get the apneas under control... and if you have a problem with leaks, they're going to know it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fullthrottle800, First of all, WELCOME! to the forum.! I'm sorry you are getting off to such a rough start. I would go for that sleep study so that you can get more of a clearer idea about what's going on with your therapy. Just keep checkin' back and I'm sure others here on the forum will have suggestions for you. Best of luck and don't give up. I also wanted to tell you,sometime CPAP therapy can take LOTS of PATIENCE, so just hang in there.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2012, 10:57 AM)fullthrottle800 Wrote: If anybody took time to read this and could offer any advice id appreciate it thanks.

I'm dizzy! I've never heard of someone changing things as frequently as you have. If I were you I'd slow things down. Stick with the same machine on the same setting for at least a week so we can see what's going on.

You have CPAP-induced central apnea. The pressure is probably too high for too long.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, slow this all down.

You are looking for trends, not a night-by-night. Collect data for at least two weeks then look at it. Each night will be different. Unless a user is so anal retentive that they do the same identical thing each day (food, stress, drinks, etc), each night is going to be different. Eventually, you can look at the data and see the overall average and that's the number that matters. From there, you can see that (as an example) that Mondays is higher than the average because Mondays are so stressful. Or that Friday night is bad because that's when you go drinkin' with the friends. Etc etc

Pick a range for you APAP. If you prescribed pressure is 8, set it for 7 to maybe 12. Then leave it alone for at least two weeks, maybe three.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yah numbers seem crazy I dont believe them. I will just lower high by a bit and see what happens tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2012, 10:57 AM)fullthrottle800 Wrote: This is first time of using sleepyhead with S9 and looking at my own data at home these CA events lasted like 45 minutes at times so is it mask related mabye? leakes 95% was 7.5. If anybody took time to read this and could offer any advice id appreciate it thanks.

Have you had a sleep study in a sleep lab? If you had, have you got a copy of the reports, did the sleep doc explained to you the results, was anything mentioned about central apnea, whats was the titrated pressure?

The duration of apnea shown in seconds. Your 95P leak is good. How many hours you sleep with the mask and how long it take before you fall to sleep? The machine cannot tell if you were awake or asleep.
Get the ResScan to compare, some people had some problems with SH.
Do you have a follow-up with a sleep doc (Not GP)

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2012, 11:09 AM)CHanlon Wrote: Yikes! Yeah, if your CA's are 45 minutes...that's pretty much got to be leakage - you'd be unconscious or dead if you stopped breathing that long. :-)

He probably means he had a 45 minute long group of central apneas, not one single CA that long.

You need to look at what events you have at what pressure, etc. Can you post graphs of your SleepyHead data?

You need someone who knows what they're doing to look at your data.

You might also try different manual CPAP pressures on different nights.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a sleep study in a lab. They prescribed the 6-10 or constant of 8. Im not sure if its a group of central apneas or what exactly for the 45 minutes its just all purple when I click screenshot it doesnt seem to send a file to the folder. I just called sleep lab and got them to email results seem the rx the rt got said 6-12 but as I read the lab test results they recommend 6-10 or constant of 8 i will try the 6-10 tonight and see what that does.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Fullthrottle800 Welcome

I just wanted to jump in here. First CPAP therapy is not an instant cure thing. The longer you use it, the better your numbers get (in most cases). It takes your body time to get used to having this pressure opening your airway and the continual change in pressure does not give your body time to adapt. If you are having Central Apneas brought on by too high a pressure, then just drop the top pressure a bit. This should bring down the CAs if in fact they are attributed to the CPAP therapy. Not everyone's CAs are attributed to CPAP therapy. Some folks just naturally have CAs! A sleep doc can diagnose that in a sleep study and get you on a program to cope with that if that is the case.

With an auto machine it is a good idea to narrow down he window of pressure it provides. As I said before your body takes time to adjust each time there is a change. If you are having CAs caused by the machine you need to bring the top end out of the rafters. Instead of 20 try setting it for like 15 for 2 weeks, leaving the bottom number alone. If your CAs improve, but are still real high, try dropping it down to maybe 12. Keep an eye on the OAs at the same time. If the OAs increase, raise that bottom number up. Once you are in a range around something like 8 to 15 take the changes very small at a time, only change by like .5 and give it a couple of weeks and see where you are.

Sleepyhead software has your numbers displayed by Most Recent (one day), Last 7 days, last 30 days, last 6 months and last year. In my opinion the two most important numbers there are Last 7 Days and Last 30 days. I don't really care what last night was (though it is interesting sometimes) because this therapy takes a long time and you have good nights and bad nights. The averages over time is what really makes the difference. Please slow down and be gentle. If possible, please get into a sleep lab and have a study done and talk to the doctor or staff about what you may be doing right and what you may be doing wrong. This requires patience and if you can get be patient, you should see great improvement within a few months.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,622 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,317 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 384 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 300 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,242 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 2,793 02-06-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.