Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switch ResMed S9 to AutoSet?
Switch ResMed S9 to AutoSet?
Hello, I just thought I'd seek out a little advice regarding my CPAP therapy. I just started the therapy about two weeks ago using a resmed s9 autoset with H5i humidifier. As per the prescription, the machine was setup in CPAP mode at a pressure of 10.

So far, I've had a couple of minor issues. First, taking off the mask in the middle of the night--the times that I remember doing it was because I was finding it difficult to exhale against the pressure. Second, a couple of mornings I've had some pretty uncomfortable stomach pain. From what I've read here, I'm thinking I must be swallowing air at times.

Using the excellent resources on this site, I now know how to access the clinician setup functions. I'm not sure whether or not it was a bad idea, but I put the machine into AutoSet mode using a pressure range of 4-10 and also enabled EPR. The therapy is now noticeably more tolerable than it was, but, like I said, I'm unsure of whether I should do this or not and am looking for thoughts from the community. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switch ResMed S9 to AutoSet?
Hi, grin0048,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've done some "tweaking" of your prescription and are feeling like your therapy is more tolerable. I'm wondering if you might have a discussion with your sleep doctor about the problems you were having with a "set pressure" of 10 and what you've done to find relief. You might also want to start using SleepyHead or the ResMed software in order to see how your therapy (and "tweaking") are working. Include that in your discussion with your sleep doctor.

Good luck!!

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2014, 11:24 PM)grin0048 Wrote: I'm not sure whether or not it was a bad idea, but I put the machine into AutoSet mode using a pressure range of 4-10 and also enabled EPR. The therapy is now noticeably more tolerable than it was, but, like I said, I'm unsure of whether I should do this or not and am looking for thoughts from the community. Thanks!
anything makes the therapy more tolerable cannot be a bad idea but rather a good idea
whats the data on the screen sleep report report, ahi, leak, pressure? software graph charts are more revealing of whats going on

resscan and sleepyhead download link http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
grin0048, welcome, you are doing everything fine, those pressures seem ok, and the EPR is fine as well, you can set the EPR at 0,1,2 or 3, I prefere 3 but it is a bit of trial and error.
I'd suggest the next thing is to down load the free software from here, either Sleepyhead or Res Scan and start analysising the data more throughly.
You want your AHI to be as low as possible but below 5 and your leaks as low as possible but below 24l, hope this helps and please keep asking questions and good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2014, 11:24 PM)grin0048 Wrote: Hello, I just thought I'd seek out a little advice regarding my CPAP therapy. I just started the therapy about two weeks ago using a resmed s9 autoset with H5i humidifier. As per the prescription, the machine was setup in CPAP mode at a pressure of 10.

So far, I've had a couple of minor issues. First, taking off the mask in the middle of the night--the times that I remember doing it was because I was finding it difficult to exhale against the pressure. Second, a couple of mornings I've had some pretty uncomfortable stomach pain. From what I've read here, I'm thinking I must be swallowing air at times.

Using the excellent resources on this site, I now know how to access the clinician setup functions. I'm not sure whether or not it was a bad idea, but I put the machine into AutoSet mode using a pressure range of 4-10 and also enabled EPR. The therapy is now noticeably more tolerable than it was, but, like I said, I'm unsure of whether I should do this or not and am looking for thoughts from the community. Thanks!
Hi grin0048,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try to set up and wear your mask and use your machine during the evening as you read or watch tv. This helps your body get use to this new way of sleeping.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your input and for pointing me to the software--that's very nice having access to the data. It looks like my AHI and Leak numbers have improved in the nights since tweaking the therapy/

Now I just have to hope my sleep doctor doesn't give me trouble at my first follow up appt for messing with my therapy Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2014, 12:31 AM)grin0048 Wrote: Now I just have to hope my sleep doctor doesn't give me trouble at my first follow up appt for messing with my therapy Wink

I doubt it'll be an issue. He'll be most interested in hours used and AHI and may not even notice that you changed your pressure.

On the other hand he may be happy that you did. Big Grin
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 349 2 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 105 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 467 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 213 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,070 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,240 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Switch to AirSense VAuto for UARS/low AHI lexit957 1 299 01-22-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.