Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switch from CPAP to Bilevel
Switch from CPAP to Bilevel
Hey all
I switched from a Respironics Auto Bipap System One to an Aircurve 10 Vauto at the behest of my physician due to FOAMGATE. I noticed after my first week of use that most of my apneas are clear airway but they almost never used to be on the Respironics machine. The settings are exactly the same other than there being a TiMax and min setting that i didn't move from the default setting.
Another thing, this machine is registering quite a bit of leakage with the same two masks I usually use (Dreamwear full face and P30i nasal pillows). I would love some guidance as to whats going on. OSCAR full night and snippet is attached

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switch from CPAP to Bilevel
Please remove the calendar. F12 to take screenshot will do it.
ResMed's algorithm is more agressive than PR machines. This results in lower pressure needs on the ResMed as demonstrated with very minimal pressure increases.
Please drop your min EPAP by 1cmw per night until we see clear signs of event driven pressure increases. Or your comfort decreases.
Post nightly
After that, on a different night, in the presence of a few centrals, set trigger sensitivity to high
Post results
Possibly increase trigger setting to very high.

Do it insteps so you know what did what
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok thank you for the steps. So tonight I will change nothing other than lowering EPAP by 1. 
A follow up question if I may; does changing between a full face and a nasal/pillow mask require pressure alterations? Should I keep the mask constant while I make these nightly adjustments?
Thanks for your guidance
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask is a comfort issue, that trumps all.

We can optimize with any mask and after a mask change some setting adjustments other than mask type may be required.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok I will keep using the Dreamwear Full face as this once seems to never leak. When using the nasal pillows even with a chin strap and mouth tape there are usually leaks. I may have oddly shaped nostrils I'm guessing.
Will post as the data comes in.
Post Reply Post Reply
So last night was kind of weird, one of my kids woke up me and my wife twice due to a nightmare and that is where the awakenings came from. It seems its still most clear airways but with some more OA. Should I decrease the EPR or up the PS?

Post Reply Post Reply
Here are last nights screen shots. It seems the clear airways go away when I keep pressure support at 3.6. If I bring EPAP lower than 9 I got more OA/Hypos. Any guidance on where to go from here. I still wake up like 3-4 times a night for some reason.

Post Reply Post Reply
What is the trigger setting on the most recent screen shots. It does not show up in data, but if you changed to high sensitivity, that is likely why CA is gone.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did set the trigger to high and almost all clear airways are gone since then. Can you explain how you knew that and why it happened? I attached the chart from last night and have a new question. A lot of my flow chart looks like flow limitations but these aren't always coming up as that. Is there a way to improve the flow?
Thanks for all your guys help, you're all a God send.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is something we have learned from both personal experience and hundreds of outcomes since we started recommending this solution. Some of us are sensitive to pressure support which reduces CO2 and decreases respiratory drive to a minor degree. The use of a high trigger sensitivity allows the machine to detect low spontaneous inspiratory effort and switch to IPAP. This seems to serve as a stimulus for the user to breathe. I have no medical studies to back this up, and it doesn't come from any recommendation by the manufacturer or standard practice by the sleep apnea medical publications. You may call this an Apnea Board specialty.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,974 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 80 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Sucking in on bilevel ahuman 9 175 03-19-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: ahuman
  Bilevel ASV - Resuming After Septoplaasty Dread 130 8,163 03-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 800 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,830 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.