Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switch to FFM and AHI goes up!
Switch to FFM and AHI goes up!
More than 6 month in my sleep Apnea therapy and everything is going well. I manage good AHI numbers (1-2) every night with the DreamStation and the DreamWear nasal pillow and I am a happy chap. [Image: cool.gif]

Couple of weeks ago, after a few nights with nasal congestion, I decide to get a full-face mask. I read some reviews and buy an Amara view FFM. And Bam! Everything goes downhill.

The mask is confortable and the fit seems rights but I spend my night fighting mask leaks. Worst than this, my AHI numbers jump form the average 1-2 to 5-6 each night.  I try changing the setting, turning off EPR, increasing the minimum pressure but nothing seems to work. After 2 weeks of this, last night (14 may) I decide to go back to the Dreamwear nasal pillow. And just like magic, the AHI is back to 0.67!

I am posting three sleepy head reports. The first two (06 and 12 May with the Amara view FFM and last night’s report (14 May) with the Dreamwear nasal pillow.

Does anyone have had a similar experience with two different masks? I am really scratching my head understanding what is happening?
 Huhsign

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switch to FFM and AHI goes up!
Try doing this instead with your reports:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

Hit post too fast.

Doing your screenshots like in the links above make it easier for folks to view the data and, therefore, help you.

Meanwhile, my first guess is if your mask was leaking too much, the data is going to be skewed significantly.
And the second guess would be did you change the mask type in the settings? Typically that is only for leak rate adjustments, though.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I got similar results when switching between the Amara view and the Dreamwear nasal cushion. With the Amara I was averaging an AHI of around 3. When I changed to the Dreamwear mask it dropped to under 1. My best guess is the Amara was slightly pushing back on my jaw causing the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
I noticed the Amara FFM seems to give better results when I don't breathe through the mouth. That's kind of weird for a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you stated that the FFM is causing you arousals, it is likely that many of the new events are false positives. When your sleep is disturbed, your breathing will also be disturbed registering as events.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 10 - Bright light from on/off switch Dagmar 6 11,070 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: E.W.
  Switch to AirSense VAuto for UARS/low AHI lexit957 1 299 01-22-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [CPAP] Waking at night with headache, switch from nasal to full face mask. new2paphopeful 1 625 07-23-2023, 07:51 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 On-Off Switch Fix Quantum Mechanic 2 4,718 05-22-2023, 05:56 PM
Last Post: foolio
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 9 1,093 05-18-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: manders513
  UARS: Switch from APAP to BiPAP? lattie 3 1,074 03-13-2023, 04:36 PM
Last Post: lattie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.