Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Crazy Yawning
Crazy Yawning
When I initially put on my mask and turn on my CPAP, I start yawning and yawning and yawning and yawning. You've got the picture. This is something new. I don't understand what's going on. Air is moving normally through the mask. If I take off the mask I'll stop yawning. Each night it seems to be getting worse...as in not just a couple of yawns, but then three or four yawns and now but over ten. I've been able to just get past it over the last week but last night I just had to get up for a 10-15 minutes and take a sleep aid and start over. I was able to get to sleep. Am I the only one to have experienced this?
Barbara
Ajijic, Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Crazy Yawning
In my similar case my Physical Therapist (PT) was troubled with my yawning and asked if she was putting me to sleep; Others comment also - very embarrassing.

The PT was astute enough to quickly slap the clothespin thingee on my finger and measure my oxygen level and found it substantially deficient (needs to be 95 or higher, I am told). I found a R/T outside my dysfunctional DME who asked me to share the report from my SD card and subsequently advised me to raise my lower pressure setting to a specific level which I did and promptly stopped the yawning which is actually gasping for air.

That may or may not be your situation but I suggest you find a capable R/T who might interpret your report before changing anything, to review that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hilobarbie,
Agree, it could be a natural reflex to try to get more air.
Your starting pressure of 5 could be too low. Look at your pressure graph on SleepyHead and see where your pressure is 90% of the time. You may have to increase the lower number up to 6 or 7 and see if that solves the problem.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2015, 06:51 AM)sleepysteve Wrote: In my similar case my Physical Therapist (PT) was troubled with my yawning and asked if she was putting me to sleep; Others comment also - very embarrassing.

The PT was astute enough to quickly slap the clothespin thingee on my finger and measure my oxygen level and found it substantially deficient (needs to be 95 or higher, I am told). I found a R/T outside my dysfunctional DME who asked me to share the report from my SD card and subsequently advised me to raise my lower pressure setting to a specific level which I did and promptly stopped the yawning which is actually gasping for air.

That may or may not be your situation but I suggest you find a capable R/T who might interpret your report before changing anything, to review that.

I need to update my stats. My low pressure is 6, but I will definately up it to 7. Can't thank you enough for sharing.
(04-09-2015, 07:35 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Hilobarbie,
Agree, it could be a natural reflex to try to get more air.
Your starting pressure of 5 could be too low. Look at your pressure graph on SleepyHead and see where your pressure is 90% of the time. You may have to increase the lower number up to 6 or 7 and see if that solves the problem.
OpalRose

Thank you too for confirming low pressure observation. I'm below 14 95% of the time. I will update my profile.
Barbara
Ajijic, Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 385 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Mask driving me crazy phoebesalva 8 494 01-08-2024, 06:09 PM
Last Post: phoebesalva
  Low RDI but still feeling tired... crazy tidal volume psreiser 2 539 10-12-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: psreiser
Gross Mask noises are making me crazy Dreamless 7 813 09-08-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Dreamless
  Wife's Crazy Sleeping Heart Rate, Ideas? Apnea23 11 1,163 04-14-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: pwnorris
  [split] Crazy low Respiration Rates & high Centrals - sometimes... oqwif 6 853 12-09-2021, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Crazy Breathing Patterns, Difficult with CPAP Post Covid asuter060514 7 1,038 09-11-2021, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.