Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switched from APAP to BIPAP
RE: Switched from APAP to BIPAP
I don't have any specific cause in mind, but it just seems that any pressure he tries kinda gives disappointing results. An opposing conflicting thing, seems to need sometimes more pressure or PS to treat but as more pressure applied then it blocks and gets worse. Just a supposition though.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Amir,
It seems like these two are the best so far as regards flow restrictions:
PS 1 over 9.0 to 10.0
PS 3 over 8.0 to 11.0
assuming you don't stay at one setting for multiple (3 or more) nights as generally recommended, you might want to try -
PS 2 over 9.0 to 11.0
which ought to have the best parts of those settings.

QAL

p.s. if you do go to PS 4 or 5, make sure it is EPAP of 8, preferably 9, or split the difference at 8.5 ish.
PS 4 over 9.0 to 13.0 for example
Post Reply Post Reply
QAL both nights using PS 1 he had high/higher flow limitations 0.45 95% when using EPAP of 8, 0.24 when using EPAP of 9. This agrees with when he tried low PS/EPR months ago (may not have seen that data).

In terms of flow limitations EPAP of 11 was best. EPAP of 8 was pretty good but one night had a couple elevated points. EPAP of 9 is my recommendation as 8 appears to be on the edge.

So far the best indication is that EPAP between 9 and 11 with PS of 3 appears best. Lower pressure has too much restriction and higher pressure has too much aerophagia and doesn't appear to improve restriction further. PS of 4 test is next, probably need to try it for a few nights then try PS of 3 again to compare and see which feels best.
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding the poor PAP therapy:

If an untreatable (by PAP) airway constriction is possible, how would I go about testing that? (CT scan / X-ray?) and what kind of doctor would I go to see about that?

Regarding last night:

Being super exhausted last night, I forgot to use a PS of 4 and used a PS of 1 again. I can confirm that I feel worse than I did at a higher PS of 3. I will try a PS of 4 again tonight, with an EPAP of 9 (unless 8 is recommended), if results improve, would it be worthwhile testing even higher pressure supports (5 <).

Here are the results from last night at 10/9:

Post Reply Post Reply
It seems the team believes EPAP 9 is good start.   Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night's results were great (I believe the best I've seen). Let me know if going back to a PS of 3 is recommended, or if I should continue to use these settings for a few more days.

Last nights results:

Post Reply Post Reply
Stick with this for a while.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night wasn't great. I ended up having to take an additional 2 and a half hour nap today because I was so extremely exhausted - and still woke up consequently exhausted. 

Here are the results from last night:

Post Reply Post Reply
Keep using it for a while and then try PS of 3 again to compare and decide which is best.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for being offline for so long, have had many things to deal with so I've been relatively busy. 

I haven't been able to find a good setting with any PS so far (Max PS used is 4) in which I feel better. Some days I feel better not using the CPAP machine at all. 

I haven't switched over to a nasal mask yet but will do so today or tomorrow. I have a chin strap that I can use and am wondering if that's a better option than using mouth tape.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 362 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 557 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.