Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Switched from APAP to CPAP
Gross 
Switched from APAP to CPAP
I've been switched from an APAP to a CPAP.

The APAP was MUCH more comfortable for me - is this common?

Is an APAP a lot more expensive?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Switched from APAP to CPAP
It's not a question of money. Doctors cannot prescribe an Auto CPAP without the patient's sleep lab results exhibiting certain criteria.

This is cut and pasted from an Ontario ADP document:

335.01 Auto-Titrating Positive Airway Pressure Systems (APAP)
Individuals requiring APAP systems must meet the Medical Eligibility Criteria
for a positive airway pressures system (see 335) and the Medical Eligibility
Criteria outlined below.
The individual must have polysomnographically documented OSAS where
there is a change in pressure of a minimum of 4 cmH2O on a prescribed fixed
CPAP level of 10 cmH2O or more; and the change must occur between REM
vs. NREM sleep or supine vs. sleeping on their side.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2015, 04:36 PM)cate1898 Wrote: It's not a question of money. Doctors cannot prescribe an Auto CPAP without the patient's sleep lab results exhibiting certain criteria.

This is cut and pasted from an Ontario ADP document:

335.01 Auto-Titrating Positive Airway Pressure Systems (APAP)
Individuals requiring APAP systems must meet the Medical Eligibility Criteria
for a positive airway pressures system (see 335) and the Medical Eligibility
Criteria outlined below.
The individual must have polysomnographically documented OSAS where
there is a change in pressure of a minimum of 4 cmH2O on a prescribed fixed
CPAP level of 10 cmH2O or more; and the change must occur between REM
vs. NREM sleep or supine vs. sleeping on their side.

What if I were to pay for the whole thing myself? I understand that ADP won't cover it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2015, 04:45 PM)linn Wrote: What if I were to pay for the whole thing myself? I understand that ADP won't cover it.
I cannot see a problem there but you'll need a script

In Australia, APAP much more expensive than fixed CPAP but in US, only few dollars is the price difference
As for "The APAP was MUCH more comfortable for me - is this common?"
I can vouch for that, I've being using AutoSet on Auto since started treatment 5 years ago and never looked back Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
what pressure did they stick you with? I think that when apnea is obliterated at lower pressure, apap is *much* less likely to make a big difference... I personally cant imagine straight cpap for myself... but i would certainly meet the criteria Canada uses
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2015, 04:59 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-18-2015, 04:45 PM)linn Wrote: What if I were to pay for the whole thing myself? I understand that ADP won't cover it.
I cannot see a problem there but you'll need a script

In Australia, APAP much more expensive than fixed CPAP but in US, only few dollars is the price difference
As for "The APAP was MUCH more comfortable for me - is this common?"
I can vouch for that, I've being using AutoSet on Auto since started treatment 5 years ago and never looked back Smile

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2015, 05:09 PM)DariaVader Wrote: what pressure did they stick you with? I think that when apnea is obliterated at lower pressure, apap is *much* less likely to make a big difference... I personally cant imagine straight cpap for myself... but i would certainly meet the criteria Canada uses

7.6 pressure with a ramp at the beginning. I feel like I'm racing to get to sleep before the pressure goes up Oh-jeez

They have me using the same machine, but they turned off the auto features. They set it up for me and I'm not allowed to change it yet.

I found the automatic settings much more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope you can get them to see sense. You Canadian apnea patients all need to band together and start a petition or something - raise some awareness on how much more cost effective the APAP is.

Your pressure is lowish - so they probably expect you will get used to it soonish. I don't feel like I am getting sufficient air if I am below 7, and prefer to begin at 8, but at first 6 felt like a windstorm!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2015, 05:42 PM)DariaVader Wrote: I hope you can get them to see sense. You Canadian apnea patients all need to band together and start a petition or something - raise some awareness on how much more cost effective the APAP is.

Your pressure is lowish - so they probably expect you will get used to it soonish. I don't feel like I am getting sufficient air if I am below 7, and prefer to begin at 8, but at first 6 felt like a windstorm!!!

My pressure may change - I'm still in the trial period. My pressure may be low, but it sure helps me to sleep much better. I'm not on the verge of passing out anymore.

If I can't get an APAP, I will try my best to adapt to CPAP. It's only been a week and I can't sleep without it now! I'm so grateful for this technology.

Now, if I could only get a big spike in energy and clean my whole apartment Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
if you do, pass it on... Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 363 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 561 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,411 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.